8 Months Post Op Do I Have CC?

I'm 8 months post op and I noticed my left breast is harder and higher than the other. The right one is a lot lower and softer. About 2 weeks ago I started working out hardcore. My left breast is swollen and painful. I went to my doc and he prescribed singulair for 90 days, massage, and told me to avoid lifting. Am I going to have my breasts like that? One higher than the other or there is a possibility for the left one to drop after 8 months? Do I have a CC? Does lifting weight cause CC?

Capsular Contracture

+1

This very well could be capsular contracture, however you should schedule an in person exam with your plastic surgeon to know for sure.

Did working out cause a capsular contracture after 8 months?

+1

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have developed a capsular contracture.  It's hard to say without photos but everything you are describing along with your surgeon's prescription of Singulair leads me to believe that you are encapsulated.  Hopefully, the Singulair will correct it, but if it doesn't then you will most likely have to have a capsulectomy.  As for your question if working out caused it, we don't know what the cause is.  I have many patients who are competitive in weight lifters who have no problems what so ever. Stay positive and follow your surgeon's recommendations and try not to stimulate your pectoral muscle until he gives you the ok.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

It certainly sounds like capsule contracture

+1

From the description you provide, it sounds like you have the two most frequently noted findings in cases of capsule contracture - upward displacement of the implant(s) in question and firmness.  Your surgeon has addressed the problem correctly as a first line approach.  If this is not successful after 90 days, then I usually suggest surgical capsulectomy.  That is more often than not curative.  As far as your question about working out, while I don't think that working out itself causes capsule contracture, if you did sustain an injury to your capsule leading to some bleeding around the implant, that could stimulate capsule contracture.  But this is just speculative at this point, and I don't think it's very common at all that this occurs.  I have a lot of patients who work out very rigorously with their implants without a problem.  In most cases we never truly identify a cause for the problem.  As they are all treated essentially the same way, that is more of an academic issue at this point.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

8 months out from Breast Augmentation

+1

At 8 months out from breast augmentation it is possible to have a capsular contracture. Photos and an exam are helpful.

8 Months Post Op Do I Have CC?

+1

Hi Bea15,

Hard to tell without pictures and examining you.  You may wel have early capsular contracture or it may just be related to muscle spasm after your workout.

Hopefully the Singulair helps.

Derek Neoh, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Post-op breast hardness

+1

Hi bea15

Without examining you and seeing pre, immediate post-op and current images it is difficult to give you an accurate answer, but I will try.

1. Has the breast suddenly gone hard and ridden up? If yes you need to entertain the idea or capsule formation, late seroma or implant rotation. If no, and the breast were always asymmetric then at 8months they won't settle without corrective surgery
  2. Lifting weights doesn't cause capsule formation. There are some unproven theories that a submuscular implant pocket protects against CC due to the internal massage effect of the pec muscle on the implant and pocket.
  3. Whatever breast shape you have at 8months is very likely going to be your final outcome unless you have some form of intervention. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

#CapsularContracture After #BreastAugmentation

+1

Without a photo or exam, no surgeon can give you accurate information. However, with the way you describe your situation you have enough going on that you should continue to see your surgeon with regular follow ups.  Singulair is the appropriate first choice.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

8 months Post Op, Do I have CC??

+1

Without an exam this can not be determined.  Schedule an appointment with your Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss revision options.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Volume distribution asymmetry after breast augmentation after eight months is probably capsular contracture

+1

It's impossible to give a precise diagnosis without more information but statistically the most likely explanation as capsular contracture. The use of a smooth muscle relaxant therapeutically for capsular contracture is questionable although I do offer it to patients in my practice.

8 Months Post Op Do I Have CC?

+1

You may have capsular contracture, but that could only be determined definitively with an exam.    Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA