4 Months Post Op. Breast Implant Incision Suddenly Opened, What's Going On?

4+ months post op. Within the past few days, all of the sudden, my left breast started hurting. Redness, and a darker brown spot on the incision line was apparent. Was pain free for the past 2 months or so. Then, this morning, at the incision area, I started bleeding. I bandaged the area. This evening when changing the gauze, it was noticed that the (outer) incision area is open to near the size of a standard pencil eraser. My Dr is out of town until Thursday. Thank you in advance for any help!

Wound opening 4 months after Breast Augmentation

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you, it is difficult to say what might be going on... It may be something as minor as a small suture abscess (a stitch that your body wanted to get rid of- this is a superficial problem that takes care of itself in time), or as serious as exposure of your implant (big problem).

But before you panic, call your surgeon's office and see who can see you soon.

Breast Implant Infection?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about this development;  unfortunately, it may be something serious and warrants examination by a board-certified plastic surgeon ASAP. He/she will be able to make a diagnosis and determine if any intervention is necessary.

Breast augmentation incision opening up 4 months post-op may be sign of an infection.

+1

As my colleagues have stated, without examination it is impossible to tell with certainty, but it sounds as if infection is an unusual but very real possibility here. You require urgent recheck, even if it is by the plastic surgeon on-call for your surgeon. If infection is diagnosed, your implant will likely have to be removed, the infection treated, and after healing is complete, a new implant placed. Antibiotics alone will not do the job if the implant pocket itself is open to the outside or infected. Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Incision Opening

+1

This could be something as simple as a suture abscess from one of the sutures under the skin to an infection of the pocket around the implant.  Either way, you need to be seen by a plastic surgeon to determine what is going on and how to treat it.

Donald Griffin, MD

Breast implant possible infectiom

+1
Hi there You need to be seen urgently by your ps or if he /she is away by the surgeon covering the practice. This is a possible implant infection. Good luck

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Incision Opened after Breast Augmentation

+1

Call your surgeon's office and see if anyone else can see you. It may be due to a suture that has worked itself out (in which case, it should heal) or it may be an infection or more significant wound problem. Without being examined, it is hard to determine what to do.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS