6 Months Post Op Breast Augmentation, Uneven Breasts....

Had BA Dec 2010 Under the Muscle Silicone Gel Med Profile 400cc on both breasts. I was a 34A cup and now a 34D. I have had some rippling issues in my cleavage area you can mildly see in the pictures which I am concerned with and why are they so uneven? I asked my PS about this he said to massage the right breast for the next 6 wks until my appt on 8/16. I moved the appt up to next week 7/21 b/c I am finding the only thing to make the uneven-ness not visible is a sports bra... unhappy.

Breast asymmetries following breast augmentation surgery

+2

Your photos are very helpful in assessing  your situation. Preoperative photos would be very helpful so as to determine how much asymmetry you had prior to surgery. Presently, your right breast is higher, smaller and the crease is significantly higher. If this higher crease was present prior to surgery, the treatment would be to lower it and therefore lower the position of the implant, providing you with greater symmetry. Consideration may need be given for a slightly larger implant on the right.

You did not mention whether your right breast feels hard which is a consequence of capsular contracture and can cause the crease to rise on that side.

You may want to obtain a second opinion as well from 1 or more other board certified plastic surgeons regarding your situation. Ultimately, you will need some revision surgery to improve your outcome.

Postop breast asymmetry after 6 months

+1

The photos definitely shows that there is definite asymmetry between the breasts. You did not include photos of your preop breasts which would be helpful in analyzing the problem. But regardless at this tiem surgeryand not massaging is the only way to correct the asymmetry which would inlude lowering the right breast and possibly changing the size of the implant. Discuss with your PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Uneven breasts after augmentation

+1

I agree with the many experts who posted already. To summarize, there are several reasons why your breasts may be uneven - pre-existing asymmetry which may have been helped with a large implant on your right adn lowering the right fold slightly, a chest wall concavity on the right which is making the right breast implant "sink" into the chest and can make it appear smaller than the left, or the development of capsular contracture or scarring around the right implant.  A pre-op photo will help to narrow down these possibilities, but regardless of the cause, it appears that a repeat operation is indicated if you are unhappy with the results. I don't think that massaging will do much to improve things significantly at this point.  As said before, you may consider another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD

6 Months Post Op Breast Augmentation, Uneven Breasts.

+1

As you can read from the expert posters here you will need a revision of this surgery. Sorry. Best to obtain some other opinions from boarded PSSs in your area just to hear other options. 

Asymmetry 6 months after breast augmentation.

+1

Without a physical examination it is impossible to tell the degree of firmness in your breasts, and whether or not the right breast has more tightness or firmness than the left. If you are bothered by rippling, however, they could be soft and just have the high, tight, hard appearance your photos show.

If they are more firm than soft, you have capsular contracture on one or both sides (possibly to differing degrees), and require partial or complete capsulectomies. Slightly larger implants, if that fits your size goals, may help to decrease the width of your cleavage area, but this needs to be done carefully without excessive lowering of the bottom of your pockets, particularly on the left side, where a double bubble would be a concern.

If your breasts are soft, you can live with the degree of rippling you feel rather than see, and you like your size, your surgeon may be able to just lower your right crease ever so slightly and improve symmetry for you. Please remember that the enemy of "good enough" is "better." Follow your surgeon's advice, or if you have a feeling that things just aren't adding up, get a second or third opinion from ABPS-certified plastic surgeons with lots of breast implant experience. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for sharing your post-op photos.  Based on the photos provided, the right breast seems smaller and higher.  This is most likely due to capsular contracture, scar tissue around the implant.  Is the right breast firmer than the left?  If the asymmetry is due to capsular contracture, it will require revision surgery to remove the scar tissue.  However, if you had asymmetry between the breast pre-op (where right breast was smaller and higher), then you may need another surgery to place a larger implant and to lower the crease line.  Please visit with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concern.

Sugene Kim, MD

Uneven after breast augmentation

+1

It would be nice to see pre-operative photos to see if there was any degree of uneveness that was not correccted.  It also appears that the right side may be tighter and have a firmer capsule than the left.  Itr may be that you need a release of the capsule on the right or a different size implant.  Discuss this at lenghth with your plastic surgeon.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after augmentation

+1

You do appear to have a capsular contracture on the right side, and I would assume that it feels firmer than the left implant. The contracture is holding the implant into too high a position and not allowing it to settle into the lower pole of the breast.  There is no other explanation UNLESS you had very uneven breasts with the right breast much higher than the left preop and the surgery did not correct or improve this pre-existing condition. At several weeks following surgery, let alone several months, this will not resolve with massage, and will probably require a surgical intervention. Since it has been longer than 6 months, I would think that surgical treatment could be performed at any time. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

BREAST ASYMMETRY

+1

Thanks for the photos.  Preoperative photos would be helpful to check for asymmetries. At this point almost 7 months since surgery the only thing that will improve the asymmetry will be surgery.  If you do not have capsular contracture lowering of the right breast implant maybe  the only correction needed.  Usually this is a simple straightforward procedure without too much risk or down time.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon and inform him you have 2nd opinions that recommend surgery.  Good Luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry post-augmentation

+1

Many of the issues of asymmetry is related to pre-existing asymmetry whether it is size, position, or shape of the breast, or position or size of the nipple areolar complex. Augmentation is inherently an imperfect operation and the more of the breast that is comprised of the implant the more  the imperfections can be visible. This includes, position, shape, or softness of the implant. Sometime the augmentation can reduce asymmetries but sometimes it exentuates it.   Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD