I'm 2 Months Post Lasik. How Much Longer for Final Results?

I'm two months out from Lasik surgery. I had mono vision procedure. Still have problems focusing. How much longer do I need to wait for final results?

Lasik post op

+2

Depending on type of correction final visual results may take 3 months to achieve. Use lots of non preserved lubricating drops as this will help.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

It can take 3-6 months to adjust to new vision

+1

Generally neuroadaptation is thought to take 3-6 months. Many adapt much quicker, especially if monovision was achieved with contact lens wear prior to the procedure.

Christopher Coad, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Focusing and recovery post after LASIK LASEK

+1

You need to see your eye surgeon and get an AR, or autorefraction, to see what your prescription is now. What most patients don't know (because most doctors don't tell them) is that they are usually slightly overcorrected intentionally, to allow for regression of effect.  If this weren't done, everyone would wind up a bit undercorrected. In addition, younger patients are overcorrected a lot, to allow for their eyes to grow and their Rx to change. In other words, I usually shoot the final Rx my patients will stabilize at at age 30, not their current Rx, or I would then need to enhance them in their late 20s. So just see your eye MD, have them shoot an AR which takes like 1 min, they can then assess your refractive status. I would guess that you are appropriately a bit overcorrected intentionally, and the difficulty focusing or extra time needed for that will go away in a month after you regress.

In the newer, safer, noncutting LASEK, although the recovery does take a bit longer, this is actually good in a way, as I can adjust the final Rx more, and for a longer period after surgery, with drops. For example, in your case I can give you a non-steroidal drop (NSAID) which causes the skin of your eye to grow a bit thicker, therefore intentionally causing some regression and getting rid of your mild overcorrection if that's what's causing your focusing problem. In LASIK you can't adjust people as much, nor for as long, as the quicker recovery usually "locks in" the final prescription after a month, which means you really can't adjust it at 2 months with drops, you'd have to be re-layered

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist