3 Months Post Breast Augmentation, Scar Leaking? (photo)

Had breast implants put in about 3 months ago. My left breast scar puffed up and I had the doc take a look. He made a small incision and drained some fluid and put me on antibiotics. Over the next few days clear and watery leakage continued. Follow up appointment it was drained further, third follow up it seemed like it was getting better without additional drain. But now instead of clear and watery the leak is tinted yellow and a little slimy. My next appt is next week. Is this getting worse?

Drainage After Breast Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question .

Sometimes drainage is normal, sometimes it is not.  In your case, you should be seen by your surgeon because he/she knows your history and can examine you in person and let you know if there is an infection or not.

Call your surgeon's office and I am sure they will get you in to be seen.

Drainage following breast augmentation

+1

There is a high chance that you have breast infection. You need to logout, call your doctor and ask to see him.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Leaking fluid from breast

+1

Leaking fluid from the breast can be infected. I suggest you follow closely with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Leaky breast

+1

From what you describe, it is getting worse and likely infected.  If your surgeon closed the deep tissues in layers, you might just have a superficial infection that could resolve with antibiotics and good local wound care.  If the implant is infected, it will be very difficult to clear the infection.   For breast implant infections, IV antibiotics (usually Vancomycin and possibly Gentamycin + Cleocin) are indicated.  Reoperation would consist of washing out the pocket aggressively with antibiotic solution trying to salvage the implant, but sometimes, you just have to remove the implant for 3 months to allow the infection to clear.  Sorrry.  I hope I'm wrong and it goes well.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon