Is Six Months Post Blepharoplasty the Appropriate Time to Address Revisions and Should I Return to Original PS? (photo)

Had upper/lower bleph w/ lower & mid face lift 8 wks ago by respected board certified PS in large city. Eyes are asymmetrical, slight rt lower retraction, left eye over-corrected, much discomfort, though improving with time. Still have quite a bit of side facial swelling causing dent on one cheek & ridges on other. Second opinion w/ oculoplastic surgeon suggested waiting 6 months. He could inject 5FU now, I declined. I am massaging lower lid upward. Could time heal or is revision in my future?

Six months is appropriate before revision

+1

For every rule, there is an exception.  In general, it is far too early to determine whether a revision is needed.  Symmetry can improve with time and the need for revision is not certain at this point.

I agree that six months after surgery is an appropriate amount of time to wait.  Before having surgery by another surgeon, it is wise to discuss your concerns and results with the original surgeon.

Best of luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

A pre-op picture would be a great help, but nevertheless:

+1

The lag period to recovery is often dependant on how much was done.

Pre-op pictures are often helpful because:

• there is often a pre-existing asymmetry of a type that cannot be corrected by any technique
  • mid-face lift extends the recovery period and cannot be compared to just doing blepharoplasty
  • you only show full face pictures, but additional lateral and oblique are very helpful

All that having been considered, you are very early to even consider any revision.  Most issues like you are concerned about will settle out by six months or earlier.  Massage is helpful as avoidance of topical materials that may cause skin or eye irritation.

I expect your result should turn out just fine with more time.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

8 weeks after mid face lift and eyes

+1

I agree that you should give it at least 6 months to a year before considering a revision of any sort.

Mid face with with associated eyelid surgery will complicates convalescence and increases complications.

+1

Eight weeks after a complicated operation such as a mid-facelift with associated lower eyelid surgery is much too early to consider revision. Continued observation and communication with your plastic surgeon will give you the best chance to avoid additional surgery.

Revisional Surgery??

+1

Thank you for the pictures. They were very helpful. Please return to your surgeon and ask them to address your issues of scaring. You may benefit from one of several treatments to assist in your recovery and resolve your concerns.
 Yes, it is a bit early for any revisional surgery at this time. Please consider waiting at least 4 to 6 months after your procedure. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Concerns after Eyelid Surgery and Midface Lift

+1

At 8 weeks, continue the conservative therapy.  Many of these things improve.  You still have swelling, and I would recommend the six months to wait.  I am not sure that you will need a revision, and I would return to the original surgeon.  Anyone who tells you that they have never had an eyelid problem after surgery has not performed enough eyelid surgeries.  Individual differences in healing and swelling and lid tone along with responses to other procedures performed at the same time create variables that cannot be fully predicted.  Good luck.

Is Six Months Post Blepharoplasty the Appropriate Time to Address Revisions and Should I Return to Original PS

+1

ONLY weeks from operationS! Allow 6 months of heeling than re evaluate the appearances you are addressing in your statements. My opinion is you should become happier with healing time!