6 Months Post-Op my Left Breast is Higher Up then my Right, What Can I do? (photo)

i am 5'4 120 pounds, August 16 2011 i got my breast augmented. 375cc's mentor cohesive gel. my left breast sits higher up then the right. i am VERY self-conscious about it. it sits about 1inch higher then my right. I was hoping when i got implants that i would have that nice rounded shape. which i do not. is there anything i can do? i do understand my breast were not perfect to begin with but i feel now that they are droopy, uneven and just all around not happy. should i contact my surgeon?

Uneven breasts after an augmentation

+1

You may need to have your breasts revised in order to achieve more symmetry.  This may involve a lift or just different size implants.

Asymmetric results after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question, there are many explanations for your concern...obviously as others have said capsular contracture which would require revision surgery. Another thought is perhaps you had a slight asymmetry before surgery and its now exaggerated by your augmentation. Sometimes if a fold is lowered in surgery to correct a mild difference in folds, it can result in more asymmetry. I strongly encourage you to speak with your surgeon about your concerns and see what he recommends. Regardless of the cause these things can be corrected.

Best of luck to you!

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Asymmetry

+1

Hello Kristinamt,

I am sorry that your results are not what you had hoped for, and that your left breast is sitting too high.  There are a few reasons why this could be, but only a physical examination can tell us the reason.  Have you discussed this with your PS?  What is his solution?

If this problem is being caused by capsular contracture, the most common breast augmentation complication, then a surgery to remove the contracted scar tissue can be performed.  This will immediately allow the implant to sit in its proper position.  If this is not associated with capsular contracture, then an even easier operation to adjust the implant position can be performed.

Talk to your doctor about what he thinks is wrong and how he thinks he can fix it.  Of course, feel free to repost when you have more information or more questions!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Not Happy with Breast Augmentation Results

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Of course, the best place to “start” is by contacting your plastic surgeon. If your left breast continues to “sit higher” than the right,  revisionary surgery may be necessary to lower the breast implant. This is relatively minor surgery and may improve your satisfaction with the breast augmentation results/symmetry. 

In regards to the breast shape, it would behoove you to keep in mind that much of the results of breast  augmentation surgery will depend on how much breast and soft tissue coverage is overlying the breast implants. In other words, sometimes it is not possible to achieve the “nice round shape” when patients have a significant amount of their own native breast tissue present. Often this round shape is seen with patients who do not have much overlying subcutaneous and/or breast tissue.

Again, it is in your best interest to be seen by your plastic surgeon and/or other plastic surgeons directly to address her concerns regarding the “droopy”, asymmetry and overall satisfaction with your breast augmentation results.

Best wishes

Breast Augmentation and symmetry

+1

Hello, I think it is always a good idea to check with your surgeon. After Breast Augmentation the implants can become lower at different rates over time.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon