Is 6 months too soon for revision rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a septorhinoplasty to remove a large hump and fix deviated septum. My surgery was more complex than what my surgeon anticipated and took much longer than expected. Im still left with a slight hump which my surgeon is willing to revise at 6 months post primary. My concern is whether this is too soon? He has said it will be a very quick revision just to shave the hump. Is 6 months enough time to heal from a primary?

Is 6 months too soon for revision rhinoplasty?

In general, we recommend the following concerning revision rhinoplasty:

1) Wait at least one year to have the revision performed
2) Choose a revision rhinoplasty specialist

Even with a slight hump, it would be best to wait a year. There will be lingering swelling present that can affect your surgeon's ability to do his or her best work. Thakn you and good luck.

revision rhinoplasty at 6 months

There is a large hump still present which will probably require osteotomies  when the hump is fully removed. This is not a minor revision, so it's best to wait at least a year

Consider waiting a bit longer

We usually advise patients to wait 1 year before considering revision.  One reason is that on occasion abnormalities appear late in the healing process that may not yet be visible at 6 months, as the skin continues to shape around the surgically adjusted structures.  Accordingly, just keep in mind that if the hump is dealt with at 6 months, there is a small chance that there is something else that may need to be addressed later on.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon