Is 6 months too soon for revision rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a septorhinoplasty to remove a large hump and fix deviated septum. My surgery was more complex than what my surgeon anticipated and took much longer than expected. Im still left with a slight hump which my surgeon is willing to revise at 6 months post primary. My concern is whether this is too soon? He has said it will be a very quick revision just to shave the hump. Is 6 months enough time to heal from a primary?

Is 6 months too soon for revision rhinoplasty?

+1

In general, we recommend the following concerning revision rhinoplasty:

1) Wait at least one year to have the revision performed
2) Choose a revision rhinoplasty specialist

Even with a slight hump, it would be best to wait a year. There will be lingering swelling present that can affect your surgeon's ability to do his or her best work. Thakn you and good luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

revision rhinoplasty at 6 months

+1

There is a large hump still present which will probably require osteotomies  when the hump is fully removed. This is not a minor revision, so it's best to wait at least a year

Consider waiting a bit longer

+1
We usually advise patients to wait 1 year before considering revision.  One reason is that on occasion abnormalities appear late in the healing process that may not yet be visible at 6 months, as the skin continues to shape around the surgically adjusted structures.  Accordingly, just keep in mind that if the hump is dealt with at 6 months, there is a small chance that there is something else that may need to be addressed later on.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon