Does It Take Months for Botox to Correct the Brow Furrow?

I received my first treatment of Botox 6 weeks ago. The doctor said that I only needed 16 units as my brow furrow wasn't that bad. After 2 weeks I still had alot of movement and the crease was still there. Today is 6 weeks since my first treatment and I have been back twice since my first treatment because I still have a crese! She told me today that it could take months for the crease to slowly fill back in! She is'nt charging me but I am wondering if I am wasting my time with weak Botox.

Botox glabellar crease

+2

What you haven't mentioned is if your muscles are still moving at the six week point. If you still have movement, then you are not getting enough units of Botox. If however, the muscle is relaxed, then it may be that you will need many months of maintaining the botox therapy such that the muscles stay relaxed and finally allow the skin, without having the ability to crease, to become smoother. Some patients' creases are so deep that it would take a very long time for the valley to become smoother but others may wish to have cautious thin filler injected while waiting for ongoing Botox therapy to smoothen the crease.

Botox timing and brow furrow

+2

Botox is a neurotoxin that takes anywhere from 1 - 7 days to take full effect, and certainly no more than 2 weeks.  At 6 weeks, you should have the full effect and can consider adding more units if you are still able to frown.  Also, Botox and other neurotoxins won't reverse furrow lines that are there whether you frown or not.  They may soft this somewhat, but you may consider adding fillers such as Juvederm or Restalyn to mix.  Make sure your injector is quite experienced in this area.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

+2

There are many different methods of using neurotoxins to relax the glabellar frown lines with different dosages.  It may take more Botox to relax these lines and or more frequent injections.  

Botox and crease

+2

Botox doe snot always eliminate the crease entirely. Many times the crease is "etched" in and the subcutaneous tissue between the skin and the muscle is thinned out over time. Sometimes I inject filer to soften it as well.

You may need a bit more Botox and and possibly some filler to get rid of your furrow.

+2

If  your furrow is long-standing, you may need a more Botox than 16 units.  If the crease is deep and permanently creased, it may be necessary to use a filler to evert the crease.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in the Glabella

+2

Botox typically begins working within 72 hours, and everything has "settled" at the two week mark.  15-20 units are typically acceptable in this area, so it's possible you might need to be dosed higher.  Occasionally you can develop what's called a "static crease" that may require filler. I recommend consulting with another injector to determine if this is what you need.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

+2

Botox works within a few days.  If you cannot "frown" then the Botox has worked.  The fact that you still have a crease may be due to a long standing crease, and it might be possible that fillers are needed to get an immediate response.  Your doctor is right that sometimes waiting will also make the crease eventually go away.  In terms of the "weak Botox", if your Doctor is reputable, I doubt that is happenening.  If more Botox is being injected then is needed, maybe it is not going into the right place.  You can always get a second opinion.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

If the doc is not charging you for more BOTOX, this is a red flag.

+2

16 units should be enough to make some time of difference.  Either the doctor does not understand the limits of what can be accomplished with BOTOX, or you are simply being under treated.  Is this doc giving you "weak" botox?  We do sometimes see offices that offer impossibly low BOTOX prices-like under cost.  No one gives away product and this does lead one to wonder if the offices in questions are supplying less that a unit of Botox for the price.

Botox to fill in crease

+2
Botox typically works within 72 hours. If injected properly, your brow should not be frozen because that's completely unnatural. Botox does not fill in creases; it works by paralyzing the muscle. It is possible that what you need is a combination of Botox and a facial filler such as Radiesse or Restylane. It's impossible to evaluate whether the Botox is "weak" or over diluted or whether it is not the treatment of choice for your condition. I would recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Botox will not correct every wrinkle especially a deep one. If you get botox and the wrinkle is still present, you may need a filler in this area.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon