6 Months to Get 1 Cm Basal Cell Carcinoma Removed from Scalp. Is That Reasonable?

6 Months to Remove Basal Cell Carcinoma?

+1

A BCC has likely been present for years prior to even being detected clinically. This said, 6 months is not necessarily too long to wait if the tumor is a small one, but I prefer to remove cancers with this diagnosis closer to within a 2-3 month time period. Be sure to discuss this or other concerns with your provider.

Bay Area Dermatologist

How long to wait for Mohs

+1

Is there a reason it's scheduled 6 months out? Is this based on the surgeon, you, or other circumstances? While BCCs are generally slow growing cancers, it's always best to have a necessary procedure in the most timely fashion, so I usually recommend 3 months or less between the biopsy and Mohs procedure.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Time for M

+1

Thankfully basal cell carcinomas are typically slow growing and are very treatable. That being said 6 months is too long to have to wait for surgery.  Simply go to the website for the American College of Mohs surgery and you can find a fellowship trained surgeon near you.  Lesions can grow, get infected, or even track along nerves. Good luck. 

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist