5 Months After Rhinoplasty, and I Still Get Intermittent Pain, Could Riding a Motorbike Be Harmful?

I had Rhinoplasty 5 months ago and still get on and off pain, Im worried about whenever I travel on my motorbike and the turbulence of the bumps in the road is causing trauma to my nose. Iv been on my bike since 2-3 weeks after the op, but I'm still worried, Will this have an impact on my nose do you think, or is this creating the mild-moderate pain i still get on my nose? My Rhinoplasty was closed op for nasal fracture.

Activities after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Charob. Thank you for your question. In general, by 5 months, healing is sufficient to withstand the turbulance of your activities. If nasal appearance is favorable at this point, it is unlikely to be adversely affected by continued riding. By 5 months after surgery, there is usually no longer any rhinoplasty-related pain. If and how your motorbike riding is contributing to your pain is unclear. Check with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding your concerns. Good luck.

+1

No, something isn't right here.  I've performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and at 5 months post-op you should not have pain in your nose from the Rhinoplasty.  I suspect internal permanent stitches, scar tissue around a graft or some other issue causing the discomfort.  You should bring this up and be evaluated by your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty and post operative care

+1

Normal activity after 6 weeks should certainly not be an issue.

Healing continues for months. even 12-18 months after surgery.

swelling and discomfort may persist but will slowly improve

5 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

During the healing process after rhinoplasty, as the swelling decreases and the superficial skin nerves "recover" from the surgery it is not un-usual to have sensations that you did not experience before. As most surgeons would tell you, it will probably be a a year , or so, until the nose feels almost normal.

The bumps on the road will not affect your result. I would be more aworried about the dangers associated with driving a motorcycle.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon