9 Months After (Open) Ethnic Rhinoplasty Why Does Nose Appear Larger in Photos?

9 months after my surgery, my nose looks great-particularly in person. However, when I take a photo with my camera phone-it looks bigger-especially in the tip. I understand that it takes up to a year to see final results-but can my nose change even more in the next 3 months or so? Although, I had an open rhinoplasty procedure, I had a pretty nice looking nose pre-procedure. I just wanted a more refined tip and longer looking nose.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

Your phone's camera does not have a lens which can accurately portray your results.  Most small lenses will distort the nose, making it appear much larger than it really is.  Your nasal swelling may come down further over the next three months, at which time your surgeon will probably take postoperative photos with a lens which shows your results in a more proportionate fashion.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Tip after Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will continue to improve for at least a year after surgery. If you're comparing pre- and post-op pictures, make sure you've used the same camera and lens. It would be better to see pictures taken by your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty tip swelling

+1

Following an open rhinoplasty, the tip is the last place where swelling will finally resolve.  Every camera lens, angle, and lighting affect your picture.  A camera phone may or may not exaggerate your nasal tip edema.  If your tip was the focus of this procedure, it is likely to be the most swollen place.  If you are happy with the look in person, please less concerned about photos.  They are very unforgiving.  But, most importantly, give it time.

Hope this helps

Jason Hess, MD

Jason R. Hess, MD