7 Months After Lipectomy Skin Still Bruised. Is It Permanent?

I had a lipectomy and breast lift with implants in January. It has been 7 months and my right side is still bruised. Will it ever go away? I also want to cover my scar with a tattoo. Do i have to wait a little more? I think im still swollen but the scar looks good. Thanks

Still Bruised

+1

Hard to comment on the bruise without a photo. If it has improved over the past 3 months, it will probably continue to improve.

Provided all your incisions are healed, there is no reason you couldn't proceed with your plans for tattooing. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Bruising post lipo

+1

This should go awya.If you are 7 months out and wnat to get a tattoo I guess you should go ahead if you want

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Bruising late after lipectomy.

+1

Bruising can lead to staining of the skin which may or may not respond to laser therapies. As for tattooing a scar, this can be done at 7 months, but I recommend waiting until the scar stops maturing (usually 12 months).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Am I Still Bruised 7 Months After Liposuction?

+1

The answer to whether you are still bruised or not would require a face to face examination.  However, it's been my experience that liposuction changes the blood supply to the skin over the area suctioned from being vertical, i.e. coming up from the muscle below the skin to being horizontal (coming through the skin horizontally from other areas that were less injured).  These blood flow changes lead to capillaries that can be seen on the surface of the skin.  They look like bruises, but they are really vascular patterns on the skin.  This is not a complication but a known outcome of liposuction, especially on the flanks.  One of two things you can do about it - (1) just leave it alone, as the blood supply to the skin gets stronger, these capillary pools tend to regress; (2) laser of the skin can very often hasten the process of resolution of these capillary stained areas. 

Tattooing of scars post breast lift can be done anytime after 6 months, but your tattoo artist should test an area that is more towards your armpit first to be sure your scar is mature enough to not tear and accept the pigment the way the artist wants it to.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon