More Droopyness if Breast Augmentation is Delayed?

I have change my subglandular breast augmentation surgery to 5 months from now. I have mild droop and I do not want a lift so my PS and I decided to have over muscle. I want to know it waiting 5 months really make a differnce as far a droopyness? WIll I droop more in this time?

Over the muscle vs. under the muscle relative to droopiness

+2

I do not believe that placing the breast implant over the muscle offers advantages relative to drooping. The passage of 5 months shouldn't influence things either.

If you have droopiness of the breasts, the distance the nipples are from the top of the sternum is too long, and will not shorten when an implant is placed. So you risk having large droopy breasts.

Droopiness due to "deflation" where the distance of the nipples is actually not too long responds very well to an implant, and the droopiness is cured in that fashion.

Going below the muscle lowers the risk of scar tissue formation by half, preserves the circulation between the chest muscle and the breast, and gives more natural results.

A Breast Augmentation is a POOR Solution for Breast Sagging

+1

A fallen object cannot be lifted or levitated by making it heavier. It only becomes harder to lift.

Similarly, augmenting a sagging breast to lift it utilizes the same faulty logic. It is essentially running around your backhand to hit a tennis forehand. It is awkward, clumsy, illogical and often bound to fail. The ONLY 2 reasons why a surgeon would do such a procedure is that he/she is inexperienced and / or is more concerned with doing what you are asking for, to keep you as a patient, than to do what is right for you.

Sub glandular augmentations look natural in a very few women (those who already have ample breast tissue to cover the underlying implants. Problem is - most women seeking breast augmentation do NOT have a lot of breast tissue...) and they sag rapidly looking like orbs / melons etc.

5 months will make no difference as far as I am concerned. Maybe it is a time for you to further reconsider the operation and its risks.

Mastopexy and Breast Implants

+1

Hi,

You should not have a significant change in your breasts over the course of the next 5 months unless you are in the process of losing weight or ceasing breastfeeding. All breasts will drop somewhat with time. I generally recommend placing the implant below the muscle, but if you and your surgeon have agreed upon subglandular placement based upon your anatomy and wishes, you should be fine. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast implants will not "lift" the breast and will not replace a breast lift procedure.

+1

If you need a lift, placing implants above or under the muscle will not achieve this. Implants creates size, mastopexy creates lift. If you look to the implants to create lift, you will likely be disappointed.

It is not clear to me why you are waiting 5 months. Unless you are losing a lot of weight or breast feeding/lactating your breasts shouldn't change much over 5 months. Obviously, we may not have all the appropriate information.

If you have decided you don't want a lift, then you must accept the fact that you will continue to have drooping of the breasts after the procedure. I wouldn't change how I perform the implant procedure with the false hope of getting a lift. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Drooping breasts

+1

It is not exactly clear fromyour question why you are waiting 5 months.  A drooping breast will not be fixed by changing the implant pocket. If you need a lift then you need a lift and an augmentation alone will not correct that.

Addressing breast ptosis (drooping) with implants

+1

I do not know the reason why you and your plastic surgeon have decided to wait 5 months before performing your surgery. If you have recently stopped breast feeding or you are still in the process of losing weight, these may be reasons to delay your surgery. Waiting however, will not improve the amount of sagging your breasts will experience.

I agree with my colleagues that placing an implant in a subglandular location will not avoid needing a lift. It may have the opposite effect by continuing to stretch your skin over time, resulting in your need for a more extensive lift. An implant can help restore volume however, is rarely the solution to avoid a lift. I would recommend obtaining a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to proceeding with your surgery.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Your best choice is to place your implants in submuscular positions

+1

Five months will likely make no difference in your breast shape. Placing the implants above the muscles offers no advantage in lifting of your breasts, and, in fact, will accelerate sagging over time.

Placing the implants in submuscular positions provides the same lifting, hides the implants better, and keeps them in position over time. If you still have more sagging than the implants alone will correct, then you will either need to accept the shape and appearance of your breasts or have a lift either at the same time as the implants are placed or later.

If you do need a lift, then the lifting procedure is much safer with the implants underneath the muscles because the breast tissue remains attached to the muscles and has a much better blood supply to help with healing and reduce the risk of wound breakdown.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Droop of the breast by delaying surgery 5 months

+1

I do not think that delaying your surgery will cause any substantial change in the amount of "droop" that your breast currently has.

Generally, I tell patients that the best time for surgery, is when you have the time to go through a short recovery period. For the operation you have described, I would expect that you could be back at a desk job in 5 days. You would not be completely healed, but as the area is covered, light activity such as answering a phone, or computer work could be performed in that time frame.

You might want to talk further with your surgeon about the placement of the implant above, versus behind the muscle to be sure that you understand the best choice for you.

Remember, the most important part of getting a good result from plastic surgery is the surgeon you choose.  

Darrick E. Antell, MD

You can do your surgery when you are ready

+1

I wonder if there is another reason for the 5 months delay. If you have just finished lactating or plan to loose significant weight ,then you may wait till your breasts are stable.

As Dr.Rand stated ,above the muscle will not lift the breast more than under the muscle. Actually under the muscle has better lift and also holds better in long run.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implants above the muscle doesn't fix drooping breasts

+1

It is a common misconception that placing implants above the muscle helps mild drooping of the breasts.  This really isn't true and leads to a long term "ball in sock" look.  

I just saw a patient with this the other day who had it performed elsewhere and her above the muscles implants did nothing to save her from needing the lift her anatomy requires. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS