6 Month Rhinoplasty Swelling Concerns

I had an open rhino 6 months ago. My nose was reduced quite significantly in size, and I do have pretty thick skin (I'm Indian). I do like the shape of my side profile, but I would like to see it a bit smaller (hoping). However, I am just so depressed when I look at myself straight on, and especially in pictures. The tip of my nose is so swollen, about as much as before the surgery. How much is the amount of my reduction and thick skin affecting how long I stay swollen? Will it get smaller?

Swelling after open Rhinoplasty

+1

Open Rhinoplasty is more invasive than a Closed Rhinoplasty and it does take the lymphatic system about 6 months to fully reconnect after the disruption caused by the Rhinoplasty.  In my Open Rhinoplast patients, I advise them that tip swelling can decrease dramatically after 6 months when the lymphatics are restored.  Wait a couple more months and see what happens. 

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes nasal swelling can last for greater than 18 months after the surgery.  It seems that patients with thicker soft tissues may be slower in resolution of the  swelling.   You are still relatively early after surgery and things may improve more over time.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Without seeing a photo there is no way of answering your question. Even with a photo it would be hard to say without feeling it and seeing it before. But the general rule of thumb is to wait at least a year to see how your nose looks especially if you have thick skin.

David E. Kim, MD