Next Month I Will Be Getting Rhinoplasty, Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck and Fat Grafting from my Hips Injected into my Hips?

Doctor said all these procedures will take aporoximately 9 hours.I am 27 years old 125 lbs non smoker. I am conserned about the lenth of the surgery.

+1

I would keep the duration to less than 6 hours. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Surgery Length

+1

Because you have doubts already about doing so much surgery at one time, I believe you should follow your instincts and do only part of the procedures at this time.  Nine hours could become longer if things don't progress smoothly.

David Stoker, MD

9 Hours of Surgery

+1

9 hours of surgery is a lot of surgery, and I agree with the other doctors here when they say that the longer the surgery time, the higher the complication and recovery times for the patient. Lengthy times are sometimes necessary in emergency situations, but in elective surgery I also prefer to keep my times to 6 hours or less. I would also opt for an in-hospital setting or an overnight stay at a minimum. Another thing to consider would be breaking the procedures into two separate surgeries.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+1

There are couple considerations for multiple procedures done at the same time.  Obviously, the safety should be our number one concern.  With several procedures, the operative time could be very long.  As operative time gets longer, complication rate (infection, bleeding) becomes higher.  In addition, your recovery will be tougher with so many surgeries all over your body.  Some patients may want multiple surgery in one session to avoid multiple recovery.  However, it will be best to limit surgery so that the operative time is less than 6-8 hours.  I too would be concerned about having all the procedures you listed all at once. 

Sugene Kim, MD

Combining Procedures and Safety?

+1

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, most ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage. Your concern about the length of surgery is appropriate.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures

+1

Thank you for your question.  I think you need to listen to that little voice inside (in other words, listen to your gut).  Your concerns may be valid.   Although multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting, doing all the procedures you listed all in one setting seems quite excessive.  My recommendation would be to consider your breast surgery and tummy surgery and perhaps some fat grafting (depending on the areas for treatment and amount of fat injections required).  

Multiple procedures can be done safely, but it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done.  On longer cases, an overnight stay may be recommended.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status.  You may also want to seek a second opinion.

Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Remember, safety first.  You can always come back and fight another day.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Length of operation

+1

Personally I avoid elective surgery longer than 6 hours especially as an outpatient. This is a decision that must be made by you and your plastic surgeon as he is in the best position to understand your anatomy and medical condition.  

Combining Procedures

+1

Performing longer surgeries is safe provided you have been screened and are in good health. I also believe you should be cared for overnight in a facility that is fully staffed and equipped for such stays.  I have personally avoided combining  procedures like facelift or rhinoplasty with the larger body procedures like tummy tuck and lipo because I feel there is a "fatigue-finesse" relationship that is not favorable at the end of a long case. Maybe I'm just getting old !

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS