One Month Post-Op. Is It Safe for Me to Touch my Nose to Feel How Swollen It Is?

I run my fingers gently across and on the sides of my nose to feel if it is swollen. Some days it feels wider and bigger than others. I'm just wondering is this safe to do? I know you don't suppose to touch your nose right after rhinoplasty, but i'm a month post op.

Healing after Rhinoplasty

+2

At one month after surgery, you certainly won't hurt anything by gently touching your nose. I would check with your surgeon regarding resuming your activities. My usual advice for my patients is to avoid having glasses or sunglasses resting on the nose for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery as the pressure from the feet of the glasses is constant while they are worn. Intermittently gently touching the nose with your fingers is fine though. I would wait 8 weeks after surgery before returning to contact sports as it can take this long for the nasal bones to heal. Other non-contact exercise activities (running, weight training etc.) may be resumed 2 weeks after surgery. Lastly, I would add that that the fluctuation in the swelling of your nose is perfectly normal. I have found that dietary factors, such as excessive sodium and alcohol, can cause the nose to be more or less swollen on certain days. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Umang Mehta, MD

Mehta Plastic Surgery, Atherton, CA

San Francisco Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgery

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

When can you touch your nose after Rhinoplasty?

+1

At one month after Rhinoplasty, you can touch the nose. In fact you can lightly touch the nose immediately after surgery. You just can't apply any pressure or cause the nose to move or bend. I have my patients carefully clean their nostrils during the first week to gently remove crust and dry blood.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 1 Month after Rhinoplasty

+1

You will do no harm if you carefully touch your nose 1 month after rhinoplasty. However, I assure you there is swelling at this time. Palpation is not necessary - you will see changes over the next year.

Touching Nose One Month After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Brown,

It is okay to touch your nose one month after rhinoplasty.  It is normal for there to be fluctuations in the shape of your nose for a few months following surgery due to swelling.  As with other parts of your body, it is still better to keep your hands to themselves.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

I understand your notion of trying to determine the degree of nasal swelling post-rhinoplasty.  While it will unlikely cause a problem to palpate this region one month following rhinoplasty, I would perform this with caution.  Nasal bones are often fractured during this procedure, and there is little to benefit from examining the region.  You will continue to see resolution of swelling over the next six months.  Good luck.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Rhinoplasty and touching.

+1

There is no problem in touching the nose 1 month post op. It will change for the next 6-12 months.

Touching Your Nose Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Although touching your nose gently will not likely cause a significant problem one month post rhinoplasty, I would still refrain from doing so if you can. There is no compelling reason other than curiosity to do so. In some cases, the nasal bones might be particularly fragile from repositioning. Or your surgeon might have placed delicate grafts along the side of the bridge. If you happen to touch these areas slightly harder than you should, your end result might be compromised. If you were my patient, I would avoid this unless you were specifically instructed by me to exercises the nose in a particular way.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon