1 month post op of Rhinoplasty, the hump in my nose got even bigger then before. Is this normal? (photos)

I got close rhinoplasty march 28th. To take away my bulbous tip and remove a slight bump in my bridge.. Right away I notice the hump still present when my Dr took the cast off.. He said it was just swelling Now a month later the bump is even bigger then what I originally went in with. I'm depressed sad upset and even more insecure then before... I want to believe it's swelling but it's hard like bone... From my left side my profile looks sloped but not my right..Will this go away?

Hump Made Worse After Rhinoplasty

+2

Although it is true that 'swelling takes a year' to subside, not everything takes a year to assess.  As you noted, the 'bump' has gotten worse as time has gone on and swelling has decreased, therefore swelling was actually camouflaging the problem.

The perspective you are looking at is not really your profile, and therefore this is not really a bump.  It is an oblique or 3/4 view, and it gives us very different information about the contour of the nose than a true lateral or profile view.

When a bump is reduced during a rhinoplasty, the cartilage part of the bridge can sometime collapse toward the midline, leaving a 'step off' or depression that looks like a bump in this view. The swelling partially camouflaged this, and as time goes on this discrepancy will not likely improve. This is the most common area where irregularities can occur after rhinoplasty.

If after a year this is still an issue, you may benefit from a revision surgery. However, much earlier, perhaps in another month or so, your surgeon may elect to inject a filling agent like hyaluronic acid (Juvederm, Restylane, etc.) to improve this contour irregularity immediately.  This is a temporary fix, but may make you pleased in the meantime while your nose has a chance to fully heal. 

Residual bump after rhinoplasty

+1
Sorry to hear your concern. You are correct that the initial swelling camoflauged the bump which is now more noticeable. If it feels  hard, it is likely to be residual bony/cartilagenous bump which will not resolve with time. Talk to your surgeon about the timing of a revision.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty Bump on bridge

+1
Dear Butters4you, I would see your surgeon and discuss your concerns as it is my honest opinion that this will possibly not resolve itself with time. You state that as time has gone on and the swelling is dissipating the "bump" or elevation that you see has become more visible. With an examination and palpation of this area your surgeon can discuss your options and hopefully put your mind at ease for the time being. Your surgeon may decide to use some filler to camouflage this area until your full post operative recovery phase is over. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

1 month post op of Rhinoplasty, the hump

+1
Dear butters, thank you for your question.It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op of Rhinoplasty

+1
At 1 month post op, you are in the early healing stage.  You can expect to see changes over the next several weeks.  It is very important to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon so that he can monitor your healing.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD