1 month post op, lower lid is still pulling down after revision: What can I do about it? (Photo)

I had surgery on 25.10.13, whereby I had double upper and lower eyelid, plus ablative laser I had revision surgery on my lower lids on the 14.2.14. The stitches in both lowers come undone, and revision canthoplasty, attachment to bone was suggested. I think I have ectropion in my left eye? The revision surgery was t meant to address this. I fear that it is still there, and would like your opinion. Nor did the surgery pull the right lower bag back into place. What can I do??

1 month post op, lower lid is still pulling down after revision: What can I do about it?

+1
Stop and allow the area to heal!!! At least 6 months leave alone, PLEASE. To much aggressive surgery causing your issues... 

You were "corrected" way too early.

+1
I am sure your surgeon was trying to make you happy.  However there is a very good reason why we recommend waiting 6 to 12 months before having a revision.  Exceptions are made when the eyelid position is compromising the health of the cornea.  Your photographs don't really tell the full story.  You may need more than just canthal surgery or if you are patient, you may heal to the point where more revisional surgery is unnecessary.  Being patient is essential.

Retraction of Lower Lid After Blepharoplasty

+1
Lower lid retraction is a known complication after lower lid blepharoplasty.  It can be mild and temporary.  Looking at your photos you have mild left lower lid retraction, especially the lateral or outer lid.  It does appear that there is very slight inferior displacement of the lateral canthus or outer corner of the eyelid.
I agree with Dr. Morgan.  I certainly would not consider any more surgery for at least 4-6 months.  In the meantime you can apply upward massage on the outer lower lid several times a day.  Occasionally this can help.  If this has not improved by 6 months a lateral canthoplasty to gently elevate the canthus and plicate or tighten the orbicularis muscle should fix your problem.  Give it some time though, as it may improve.

Sean M. Blaydon, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unhappy with eyelid revision

+1
  • You might need a canthoplasty.
  • But first, wait six months before further surgery,
  • Swelling can pull tissues down - as t subsides it may improve. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD