I'm 1 Month Since Anchor Lift and Augment. How Would I Look if I Explanted?

A month ago I had a lift (to fix tubular breasts/puffy nipples, w/ptosis-my breasts had looked like that since puberty) with 330(rt) 360(l) submusc. B to C cup. I lost all nipple sensation (areolae were reduced a lot). I'm considering explant due to the fake look, though I'll wait a few months. I have new stretchmarks under the nipples, inside, from the tight lift. If I explant: 1. Will the breasts maintain the lifted look?; 2. Might I regain nipple sensation due to less pressure from implants?

Breast implant removal

+3

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you. It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Please do not make any decisions now since you are only one month out of surgery. Yes, your breasts will maintain the “lifted look” but you will obviously lose fullness/volume. It is possible, but not likely, that you will regain sensation from explantation.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Implants and lift

+3

You are way to early to consider explantation. First swelling may be playing a part with the lack of sensation. Commonly this improves over the first 6-8 weeks. If you get explanted, the nipple will stay where it is, but it is difficult for me to say how the breast shape will look. Give it time, because the breast shape will definitely change.

Breast Implant Removal - I'm 1 Month Since Anchor Lift and Augment. How Would I Look if I Explanted?

+2

Yikes - please don't make any hasty decisions, or any decisions faster than you have to.

I don't know what you looked like before but I think that (1) you have a very, very nice result (!) and (2) it's not necessarily likely that your nipple sensation will return if you remove the implants - any faster than it may on its own.  Some decrease in sensation can occur after this procedure but much of it is temporary.  If you can wait at least six months, you may be very pleasantly surprised at how you heal.

Furthermore, I think you will not be happy at this point if you simply remove the implants.  The skin has been tailored (extremely well, as previously noted!) to its new shape and removing the implants will leave you with excess skin (relatively).

You should obviously talk to your own PS about this, but I would probably urge you not to do anything except to wait and let your body heal on its own.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Mastopexy with breast implants

+2
From the photos you've attached, I think you have a very nice result. I definitely think it's too early to make an decision about any further surgery. As time goes on, I think your breasts will not seem as large to you as they do now. The skin will stretch to some degree and your implants will drop a little, making it seem like the breasts have gone down in size a bit. Don't make any judgements for six months.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Wait on Decision to Explant

+2

You are correct to be patient and give yourself Time (I usually suggest 6 months) after your augmentation-Mastopexy, before deciding to Explant.  A lot will change in the course of the next couple months and you may find that the "fake look" has improved as your tissues heal and soften.

If you Explant:

1. Will the breasts maintain the lifted look?    Your breasts should still have the "lifted look," minus the fullness of the upper pole of the breast.  Now, the breast may seem too full and round in the upper pole; as the implants "settle," this will be less so.  If you remove the implants, the nipple position and shape should be the same, but the upper chest will be less full.
  2. Might I regain nipple sensation due to less pressure from implants?  Removing the implants will not likely play any role in returning sensibility to your nipples.  Hopefully, the loss in sensibility is temporary, and will recover in the weeks or months to come, even without explantation.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

nipple numbness after lift

+2

Hi LadyK,

Waiting a few months before removing implants is a sound decision. Once your implants 'settle', swelling has resolved, and tissue relaxes; you may be very happy with your results. As far as regaining nipple sensitivity by removing implants-NOT LIKELY. Nipple numbness is a result from the lift. In most cases nipple sensitivity returns after several months. Hopefull, yours will too. Best of luck, Dr H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants after augmentation-mastopexy

+2

You are getting fairly consistent and correct advice here. I would not recommend even considering taking the implants out before the tissues are fully recovered which takes a minimum of three months for the tissues and often a year for the incisional scars and nerves/sensation. The "new" stretch marks are not new and are merely more apparent because of residual swelling in the tissues. When they return to the way they were and there is no residual stiffness or swelling in the tissues then you can judge the shape and size although the nerve return and scar settling can take a year or more. 

Breast implants are pillow volume and it is very difficult to judge the size increase when a mastopexy is done at the same time. Removing them will not change the sensation or cause them to sag but they will look deflated and less perky. I would allow them to fully resolve and then consider a change to a lower profile implant of the same width if they are still too overly projecting. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants after an aug and lift

+2

Thanks for your question -

I agree whole heartedly with your impulse to wait a few more months.  Implants typically sit somewhat high immediately after surgery.  They may take 3-4 months to settle.  This is also true with nerve recovery.  Typically half of patients that have issues with sensation after these procedures recover with time.

If you choose to remove the implants you will likely lose some of the benefit from the implants.

You should definitely talk to your surgeon about your concerns.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Explantation

+2

I would wait much longer before thinking of removing the implants. The overall look may change, possibly along with the sensation. You will probably maintain an adequate shape with explantation, but not as full.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breasts can be corrected without implants.

+2

Hi.

I don't think you should do anything for another three months, but judging from your pictures, you can have the implants removed.  You should  have small breasts with lifted shape.  Some sensation may return with time, but removing the implants will not help with the return of feeling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)