1 Month After an Open Rhinoplasty and a Septoplasty Will I Be Ok to Go Away to College?

I have broken my nose multiple times due to elbows in the face from sports. I have an enlarged turbinate in both nostrils causing many sinus infections. I go away to school and have to fly there. I am a very active person but have difficulty breathing out of my nose. I will not be coming home from college for at least 3 months when I go back. I just want to make sure there is enough recovery time, and enough time in case something goes wrong. The doctor has to rebuild my cartilage.

Back to School Following Rhinoplasty

+1

At one month following a septorhinoplasty, you should be fine to go back to school. It would be best to refrain from participating in contact sports for at least 6 months while your nose heals. After that time period, you should still be careful and avoid contact to the area as much as possible. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

+1

Summer is a popular time in our office for cosmetic surgery, especially rhinoplasty.  Most are high school and college students taking advantage of the time off.  Yes, you should be fine in a month, and you'll need both functional (septoplasty, turbinates) and cosmetic work (cartilage batten grafts to stabilize your nose).  You also have to avoid contact sports for 6 weeks.  See the following link for details. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

In general a month of recovery is more than enough for a rhinoplasty.  You will still have some swelling on the outside and inside of the nose which will continue to improve over time.  It is important to avoid trauma to the area since complete healing has not occured.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Nose Surgery, Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty,wether being done with closed or open technic ,concomitant with septoplasty and turbinate surgeries should heal whithin 6 weeks and you you should be able to return to college . If for any reasons you were not satisfied with the results or a revisionary surgery became necessary , you need to wait at least six month before considering a redo . I recommend that you should proceed with your plan and be optimist.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from rhinoplasty

+1

Recovery from surgery takes time. Swelling and bruising which most people associate with the recovery will be resolved by 2 weeks. If the nasal bones are broken to correct the nasal concerns they will take 4-6 weeks to heal to the point where you may resume your usual activity. It can take 4-6 weeks for your energy level to return to your preoperative state and so this must be considered as well. The final cosmetic result from the rhinoplasty is not completely determined until one year.

This being said barring complications you should be fine to return to school four weeks after your surgery. It may be additional 2 weeks before you are feeling like your old self.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Severe nasal obstruction: what to do about it?

+1

Based on your descriptions, you have a severe nasal obstruction due to deviated nasal septum and large turbinates. If your there is no external nasal deformity “crooked nose”, all you need is a septoplasty and turbinate reduction. In this case healing is very quick and even two weeks is sufficient recovery time. However if external deformity exist requiring rhinoseptoplasty, one month would be sufficient for recovery. Good luck. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

OK to fly back to college 1 month after Rhinoplasty

+1

You should be fine to fly back to College 1 month after your Rhinoplasty however, your nose is not fully healed abd you may want to review, with your Rhinoplasty surgeon, just what you can do activity wise and what should be avoided.  I have patients fly back home all over the world after Rhinoplasty and other plastic surgery procedures and they do fine.

+1

It should be OK to fly after one month but must avoid contact sport if possible for several months as the bones are not completely healed and are susceptible to minor trauma.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good to go one month after rhinoplasty

+1

Four weeks after rhinoplasty the nose is healed and quite stable and we allow our patients full exercise after this period of time. Nasal stuffiness will persist much longer, and results will continue to improve as stiffness and swelling improve, though you should be good to go as far as college is concerned.

peterejohnsonmd

Going to school after nasal surgery

+1

I believe you should be good to go. You will not be completely healed but, your breathing should be better. Any cosmetic changes will take up to a year. I would suggest that you stay out of contact sports for 6 weeeks after surgery.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD