One Month After Face Lift - I Have Puffy, Loose Skin Around my Mouth - Should I Worry?

I had a full face and neck lift one month ago. I saw my surgeon today and asked him about the puffy loose skin around one side of my mouth. The other side of my face is smooth and tighter. I was hoping he would say it is just swelling that will eventually flatten out, but he was unsure. He mentioned that the area around the mouth is not lifted in a face lift. Now I am worried that this area will end up being saggy.

Wait For Swelling To Subside

+2
Swelling can take up to a year to subside after a facelift. During this time, you should wait before evaluating your results. Best of luck.

Puffy loose skin after facelift

+1

You are still very early in the process. I would certainly wait before making any judgments. The area around the mouth are not generally treated with facelift.  Speak with your surgeon and follow his/her direction, but for now wait  until things heal.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

One month post-op

+1

1 month is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery.  There is still swelling and changes that will occur.  It is possible that you may need volume (fat or fillers) or laser resurfacing around the mouth.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Loose Skin Around Mouth & Lips After a Facelift

+1

Perioral aging is not corrected with just a facelift alone and that is why one needs to perform total facial rejuvenation which is a correction of the frown lines with the combination of deep fat facial compartment refilling with resurfacing and/or plumping of the lips usually with a hyaluronic acid filler. It is truly a multi-modal combination therapy to blend facial rejuvenation with the perioral rejuvenation. These are distinctly different operative procedures which should be done and explained to the patient that way.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift - One Month After Face Lift - I Have Puffy, Loose Skin Around my Mouth - Should I Worry?

+1

It is, of course, impossible to address this fully via this forum.  But I would tend to agree with your surgeon - the areas right around the mouth are typically improved less with a facelift than are the jowling and excess skin of the neck.  This has to do with the vector (direction) of pull that is accomplished, as well as the degree to which the skin stretches out again in active areas (ie, around the mouth).  That one side looks different from the other is fairly common, both before and after surgery.  Finally, though, one month is too early to draw any conclusions on the ultimate result.  Maintaining this discussion with your PS is the best course at this relatively early stage in your recovery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Puffy skin 1 month after facelift

+1

Your surgeon was certainly being honest with you.  However, I would have added that it is way yoo soon to know what the final results will be and that one side always seems to heal at a different rate than the other.  I would relax about this for now and give it six months to heal and then re-evaluate with your surgeon.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon