What Can Be Done for Atrophic Facial Scar? (photo)

My wife has a small atrophic facial scar since she was a baby. It's from a dog bight. It's little more than 1 cm long, about 2 mm wide, & depressed. It's above her upper lip. But, the lip is actually fine. The depression of the scar creates a shadow making it more noticeable. But, in bright light it's very hard to see. We went to a dermatologist who said she would use pixel laser resurfacing, but no filler. We want to know other doctors' opinions. We'll travel to NJ, PA, northern VA, DC, and MD.

Improving a lip scar that is atrophic

+1

I utilize several different lasers to improve these atrophic scars, but the scar will likely require multiple treatments to normalize.  Atrophic scars are very difficult to treat and there will likely remain a residual scar even in the best of hands.

Laser for scar revision

+1

Hi, laser can help improve the appearance of this scar. I would not recommend surgical revision. I would seek out someone who has advanced fellowship training in laser surgery and is a board certified dermatologist. This technology was invented at Harvard Medical School and in the right hands it can be very beneficial to patients and the consequences can be disasterous in the wrong hands. We have extensive experience with these types of scars.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon