One breast has settled considerably lower than the other. Can this be repaired without a lift? (photo)

I had my augmentation just over 2 years ago (under the muscle). The right side received a mentor smooth round moderate plus profile gel implant sized 300. The left side received the same but sized 325. In the past year the right side has begun to settle considerably lower than the left - visually it appears at least an inch lower than the left side. Is there a way to repair this without a lift?

Post op breast asymmetry

Your right inframammary fold (below your breast) is lower than your left.  It is difficult to tell if this was from Preoperative asymmetry (need a pre op photo to tell) or if the implant has dropped a bit more on the right side during healing.  It sounds like your right breast might have been bigger than your left before surgery and sometimes this is associated with a lower fold on the larger side.  If the fold has lowered more after surgery,  you have two options, (a) lower the left fold slightly or (b) raise the right fold.  Option (a) is easier, but it depends on which breast shape and appearance you to discuss this with your surgeon.

Maui Plastic Surgeon

239 East Wakea Avenue
Kahului, HI 96732

Breast position changing

Thank you for your question about breast augmentation.

• The photo suggests that one implant is lower and may be moving down the chest slightly,
  • I am usually able to correct this by re-setting the crease
  • This supports the implant and lifts the breast back up
  • Your surgeon will have to examine you to be sure this is the problem
  • It is fairly straightforward and I can usually do these fixes in the office procedure room -
  • So let's hope whatever you need is as easy. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

One implant lower

Thank you for your question and photo.  It does appear that your right inframammary fold is a bit lower than the left. What is uncertain is whether this was present before your surgery.  There are often differences between the breasts and this needs to be determined prior to surgery.  If the fold is lower as the result of surgery, a "lift" is not really the fix.  If it is truly the lower fold that bothers you, then the fold needs to be elevated, which is done in a surgery.  This can be accomplished with sutures or a mesh material to support the implant.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

7001 S 900 E #100
Midvale, UT 84047

One breast lower than the other after augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photographs it appears that the left nipple areola and breast (right in the photograph) may well have been lower preoperatively.  Based on the photograph a minor lift can be done on the left breast to correct nipple position, reduce areola  and lift the breast.  I am not aware of any nonsurgical procedure that can accomplish this.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

One breast has settled considerably lower than the other. Can this be repaired without a lift?

NO! You can opt fore additional minor lifting surgery if you desire. But this is a very personal decision.... 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

It's normal to have a little bit of difference between the breasts

Based not he photos, the difference between the breasts is very small, and one would expect that the difference would be hardly noticeable in clothes and even in a bikini.  In considering revision surgery or touch-up procedures, it's important to remember that complications can happen, and sometimes, it's simply not "worth it" to chase small differences.  One also notices that one areola is somewhat wider than the other, and this is also a part of the difference.  In general, when differences are as small as is seen in this case, we don't recommend surgery in our practice.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS

* The above commentary is not personal medical advice, and is intended for general education on the internet.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS
Summit Plastic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Rd
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Breast asymmetry

Some breast asymmetry is normal. This is waht it appears in the photos with your breasts. If concerned review your phoots with your surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Breast Asymmetry

From the single photo I suspect this is due to your natural asymmetry but a preop photo would be needed to really know. There are many options to correct your asymmetry. Get in to see your surgeon for his ideas. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

10201 SE Main
Portland, OR 97216

Thank you for the photo but an examination and pre-op photos are also needed to make an intelligent response.  That said if the right nipple is lower then the left a lift would be needed to bring them to the same height

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

400 West Central Ave
Brea, CA 92821