Breast Implants - Removal or Replacement?

I can't decide whether to have my 550cc saline sub-muscular impl. completely removed or replaced with smaller silicon ones. I had almost no breast tissue to start out with so I'm sure things must have gotten pretty stretched out. Went from less than an A to a big D. I haven't had good skin elasticity in the past (had to have TT) so I'm wondering if my boobs would be stretched out bags. I'm 22, never been pregnant. I hate these hard awkward round silly water balloons. will I regret removal??

Removal or replacement of Implants?

+1

It sounds like you are just tired of such large breasts.  It is a challenge to answer the question without pictures, but in general, I think you would be unhappy with removal of the implants which would leave you with stretched and saggy breasts. Usually, switching the implants to a smaller, gel implant combined with a breast lift would give a more proportionate, natural, and attractive result.

+1

It is hard to advise you based on the limited info here. Photos would help.

I don't think it is likely that you will have a satisfactory outcome by removal alone, and when you talk to your surgeon, discuss the possibilities that are available. You should at least consider switching these to silicone gel implants of a size more fitting with your goals. 

If you have these removed, or wind up with much smaller implants, you may have to deal with excess skin, the solution for which will be a breast lift. Most surgeons would prefer to do this some months later if needed. In a young patient, a good deal of skin elasticity may still be present and a lift might not be needed. 

Discuss options with your surgeon. All the best. 

Large Breast Implant Removal and No Breast Tissue

+1

With large breast implants and no breast tissue, your result after removing the implants will likely be unsatisfactory.  You could reduce the size and have a breast lift if necessary.  However, only an exam would be able to determine that.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performed hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Removing implants?

+1

If you went to a "D" cup and started out as an "A", I would not jsut remove them. you certainly can get smaller implants placed.

Implant removal

+1

Based on your history, I would not just remove your implants.  You went from A to D.  Your breast tissue and skin have been stretched out.  If you just remove your implants without replacing them, you will most likely have fairly flat, saggy breasts.  However, only your plastic surgeon can give you a proper recommendation after examining you.  Please talk with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  He/she will recommend 1) removing implants with/without lift or 2) exchanging to smaller implants with/without lift.  

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Remove or Replace Breast Implants?

+1

As you know, removal or  replacement of breast implants will ultimately be a very personal decision that only you can make. Online consultants, despite good intentions, will not be able to help you in any specific/meaningful fashion.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

At this point, I would suggest that you give yourself some time to think about your goals and how you may feel without breast implants (with and without close on). Then, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons to communicate your goals.

You may find the attached link helpful to you.

+1

It is helpful that you had submuscular placement, as the muscle is not loosened by the stretching and will go right back into place when the implants are removed. Of course, the skin is another matter. Based on your age, I suspect it won't be nearly as bad as you think. But also based on your age, I doubt you will be happy with removal without some type of replacement. There are several options, but whatever you choose, you would be wise to avoid an immediate lift as the degree of tightening of the tissues may surprise you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What to do with larger implants. Do I downsize?

+1

Kelly,

Thanks for your question. What you should do really depends on what your goal is. That is a fairly large implant for a first time breast augmentation is someone who had minimal breast tissue but every surgery is individualized. If you want to be smaller it is probable that you may need some form of a skin tightening procedure in the form of a breast lift if your tissues have stretched. The only way to know is for you to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and then review all of your options. I hope this helps.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS