Radix graft as the best option?

I have a medium size hump on my nose and want a straighter profile. With hump reduction complications such as mid vault collapse and inverted V shape deformities, would a radix graft be a much simpler surgery to achieve my goal? I'm am not looking for perfection, and I would be satisfied with a small hump. What are some problems associated with radix grafts? I don't plan to use any synthetic material, only my own cartilage. If the surgery goes wrong, can't my surgeon remove the cartilage grafts?

Radix grafts

+1

I have seen many radix grafts that look good initially, but as the swelling goes down you can either feel or see the edges of the graft. It sounds like a good idea but but in reality a lot of radix grafts don't turn out so hot. I think you are better off with conventional lowering of the bridge by removing the bump. Keep rhinoplasty simple and you'll get the best results!

Rhinoplasty for radix graft

+1

Radix grafting is in excellent way to camouflage a nasal hump, provided that the radix is shallow. If there is a high radix and then you add a cartilage graft to it, the hump will become larger and more projecting. For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery.

Radix Grafts vs. Hump Reduction for Nasal Profile Change

+1

Whether a radix augmentation or a hump reduction is best for you depends on the size of your existing hump. In many cases it may be best to do a rasping hump reduction, which has no risk of middle vault collapse, with a radix graft as a combination. Some pictures of your nose is needed to better answer your question.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Radix Grafts in Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Derek,

Best to consult with a few expert, experienced, and skilled rhinoplasty surgeons to determine the best course of action to correct what bothers you about your nose. Only after a precise exam and discussion should the question be considered. Radix grafts can be removed if the result is unsatisfactory. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Dorsal hump correction or radix graft

+1

If your radix height is normal and you have a dorsal hump, then you are better off having the humkp reduced. I am not a big fan of radix grafts in general because they have a tendency to show.

Radix grafts

+1

Radix grafts are one of several options to deal with a dorsal hump. The problem with radix grafts is that they can resorb (like any other cartilage graft), become malpositioned, and aesthetically make the bridge appear too high. Even in the best of hands, radix grafts can be associated with a higher revision rate. You should consult with a surgeon who can show you via imaging simulation what the difference would look like aesthetically between a hump reduction with or without a radix graft. Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Radix graft as part of rhinoplasty.

+1

if you need a radix graft done you should have it. In 35 years of rhinoplasty I have never had to revise a radix graft. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best result.

Reducing a Bump or Adding to the Bridge

+1

This is a great question, with a fairly technical answer. First, without pictures, it is difficult to make specific recommendations. Dealing with a small bump on the bridge can be pretty straightforward (i.e., this can be shaved down via a closed rhinoplasty approach). If your wish to avoid surgery, "non-surgical rhinoplasty" is an option. This involves placement of a temporary soft tissue filler in the radix area to help camouflage the bump. Finally, placement of a radix graft can be a great option -- particularly when the radix is very low (e.g., with some types of Asian noses). Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with radix graft

+1

If a rhinoplasty is done properly, by an experienced surgeon, you should not have issues with vault collapse or inverted-V deformity.

To determine whether a radix graft might do the trick, you can have your surgeon show a potential result with and without the graft using digital imaging. Alternatively, you could try a temporary filler which would mimic what a radix graft would accomplish during a rhinoplasty.

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radix graft as the best option?

+1

Most of the time a radix graft is not necessary, and the more reliable method of hump reduction does not have the issues inherent to any cartilage graft such as shifting or resorbing.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA