Will I Need Additional Stitches? Or Can It Be Glued? (photo)

Had my reduction almost 3 weeks ago and my right breast is fine but as soon as the tape came off 2 days ago on my left breast I noticed it looks torn. Is this serious?

Open wound after breast reduction

+2

No, a dehisced wound isn't the same as a torn piece of paper!  If the wound has opened up, the risk of infection by reclosure is significant. Tissue glue is contraindicated.  Your wound will need to close by secondary intention, slowly and under the supervision of your plastic surgeon.   Application of Bacitracin or Neosporin ointment and dressing changes will be part of the regimen. 

Breast reduction and problems healing

+2

-Your concern is a common one that many patients have!

- The area of delayed wound healing that you have will go on to heal without the need for additional sutures or tissue glue.

-By keeping this area clean and applying an ointment, such as Bacitracin, daily to keep the area moist, this will heal in on its own. 

-I would definitely have your plastic surgeon take a look at this, and he/she will reassure you and make recommendations on how to care for this area to promote healing.  

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Will I Need Additional Stitches? Or Can It Be Glued?

+2

No allow wound healing by secondary intention. Than after maturation of the scar consider scar revision. 

Mild skin incision separation

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  It appears you have a small amount of skin incision separation.  Neither glue or sutures appear to be necessary at this time.  I would touch base with your plastic surgeon for instructions but keeping the wound clean and covered with a non-stick dressing is likely to be his/her advice.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound healing problem after breast reduction

+1

Since you are at 3 weeks after your breast reduction, conservative management is best for the condition that was shown on the photo. It's not uncommon to have minor separation at incision edges. Most of the time this is superficial and the incision will heal with time and proper local wound care. Make sure you get regular follow up visits with your plastic surgeon to monitor the progress.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Incision Line Opening/Wound Healing Problem after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term results of your surgery.
Unfortunately,  the type of wound that you describe is seen occasionally after breast reduction surgery. These wounds generally go on to heal. Sometimes, the presence of a suture may delay the healing process.

You will be best off  continuing to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to remove a long-term suture if it is present. Otherwise, he/she will be in the best position to advise you about local wound care if necessary. Generally speaking these areas go on to heal nicely; rarely, scar revision surgery may improve the long-term aesthetic results.