Should I Get a Mommy Makeover or the Lap Band? Any Opinions Will Help!

My weight is 230-240 im 5'4, im okay with my body is just my stomach area and back rolls that i hate...I have 3 children all c-sections and im done with kids. I have lost weight in the past but i just keep gaining it back. I really dont know what to do!

Weight loss needs to be pursued

Your photos are very helpful in being able to more accurately discuss your situation. Clearly, you are overweight and in what is known as the morbidly obese category. This places you at significantly higher risk for surgical complications. Cosmetic surgery would not be a prudent choice at this juncture.

You need to lose weight - and a lot of it. In order for this to be effective you need to be committed - and it isn't easy. It would be beneficial for you to find a multi-pronged approach for weight loss including decreased caloric intake and greater exercise. Seeing a dietician, primary care doctor and even bariatric surgeon (surgical weight loss doctor) would be be quite helpful for you. 

Get your weight under control

Your BMI is over 40. You need to control your weight and get on a diet. You are making a mistake and hoping someone else will make your body look better. Control your life, go on a diet, when your bmi is below 30 (for your height about 170lbs ) then surgery may be appropriate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

See a surgeon to develop the best treatment plan for you!

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from tummy tuck surgery and Mommy Makeover surgery.It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.For these reasons, we recommend that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.
Unfortunately, reaching an ideal weight is easier said than done.The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight.It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from Mommy Makeover surgery.We therefore, evaluate each patient on an individual basis.
We encourage patients to lose weight before surgery and prefer that their weight be stable for at least three months.We realize that some patients will have difficulty losing weight.We therefore, encourage patients to be in a supervised weight loss program.Even with this help, some patients will be unsuccessful in their effort to lose weight.In this group, bariatric surgery and lap band surgery are a definite consideration.
It’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Tummy tuck is not a good choice for patients with high BMI

Providing your hight and weight along with the pictures helps a lot. Your BMI ( body mass index ) is currently around 39 or 40. Usually I prefer to perform a tummy tuck on patients with BMI of 29 or less. That means that your weight should be around 170 to put you in a safe range and to provide a better outcome. You can try to loose 60 to 70 lbs with the help of a nutritionist and personal trainer. A visit to one of the local bariatric surgery seminars may be beneficial.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover or lap band?

A mommy makeover, specifically the tummy tuck part, is not primarily a weight  loss operation.  In terms of getting the best ultimate result, you would certainly benefit from weight loss prior to a tummy tuck.  Ideally this would be accomplished through diet and exercise.  Otherwise, a consultation with a bariatric surgeon could help to determine whether a lap band is appropriate for you.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Diet and tummy tuck

Before undergoing tummy tuck, it is a good idea to lose some weight first. Whether that is done through diet and exercise or by gastric bypass surgery is up to you. Either way, you will have to stick to some lifestyle modifications in order to have a result that is long lasting.  It is also good for your health and well being. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck - abdominoplasty results

You are too overweight to undergo a cosmetic abdominoplasty. The complication rate is sufficiently high to make the risk benefit ratio of the surgery unfavorable. You could undergo a panniculectomy, which is just a removal of the apron of skin and fat below the belly button. That however does not yield a very aesthetic result and is better reserved for individuals suffering from recurrent skin breakdown and/or infections under the hanging apron.

To be an ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty you will need to lose about 100 pounds and keep it off for about 6 months. That can be accomplished with diet and exercise or bariatric surgery such as a lap band. The non-surgical weight loss is preferable but not always feasible.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Weight loss before surgery

Based on your description and photos, I would say that I would not recommend cosmetic surgery or a lap band at this time.  If you have been able to lose weight in the past, there is no reason you can't do so again.  You would be best served by improving your diet and starting on an exercise program.  Your primary care physician may be able to assist you with a diet plan and referral to a nutritionist if needed.  Once you get closer to your ideal body weight you may become an excellent candidate for a 'mommy makeover' at that time.  

this approach will give you the best overall results and best opportunitiy to have the optimal result with the lowest rate of complications.

good luck

Sean A. Simon, MD

You can have surgery first!

It appears that you have loose skin, evident by the stretch marks on your stomach. Loose skin will most likely not tighten up as much as you'd like even if you lose weight, and it could even get worse. 
If you are happy with the rest of your body then it is quite reasonable to have an abdominoplasty to improve the appearance of your abdomen. We all have area of our bodies with a collection of stubborn fat and sometime it makes sense to address that one area alone.  You would need a combination of liposuction and tummy tuck for the optimal result.

Get serious about weight before cosmetic surgery

Lap band or tummy tuck? Neither is a realistic option. In order to get a handle on your weight and your life you may need professional help. Cosmetic surgery certainly is not your answer, and a lap band will not keep you from eating yourself into poor health. Time to get serious.