Vertical Tummy Tuck vs. Regular Tummy Tuck?

How much would a mommy makeover cost that includes an undereye lift, breast lift and tummy tuck...and can someone please explain to me about the pros and cons of a regular tummy tuck and a vertical one.....can the scars become unoticeable...thanks for any responses

Vertical tummy tuck

+2

I assume the vertical part is in addition to a traditional tummy tuck that leaves a bikini line scar.  I rarely use a vertical component unless the patient has had massive weight loss or already has an upper midline scar.   If you have an average post partum tummy, I don't think adding a vertical component would be worth the additional scarring. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Vertical tummy tuck

+1

Whether or not you would need a vertical scar depends on how much excess tissue you have.Usually this is done in patients who have lost a tremendous amount of weight.You could do a tummy tuck and breast lift at the same time.the cost again would depend on the degree of surgery you would need.the fee for a lift is around 4000 and the tummy tuck portion4-8 or 9000 depending on the amount of skin to be removed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Tummy Tuck Scar: Improved contour though visible scar

+1

The vertical Tummy Tuck scar is applied to the abdomen with significant excess skin which cannot be removed with just "pulling down" on the abdominal skin, though effectively removed by central excision as well. This would be likened to tightening a corset and then tucking the bottom end into your pants. It is a very powerful procedure which can greatly improve the waistline, though the vertical incision can form a noticeable scar. It is perfect for a patient with a pre-existing scar. The other procedures described can be combined with this, though it will make out for a long day in the operating room.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Vertical TT

+1

The vertical scar can be necessary if you have lost much weight and tightening up and down won't improve your waistline.  I've done this many times and the scar heals very nicely in the properly selected patient.  The eyelids really depend on what you need done for them and the pricing is far too variable to answer in this forum.  Good luck!

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Vertical tummy tuck

+1
A 'vertical' tummy tuck is a tummy tuck that has an additional 'vertical' scar. The purpose of this is to tighten the waistine like when you tighten a belt. The tightening involves pulling excess skin from the sides into the middle and the removing the excess. This additional step can have a great effect in the correctly selected patient. It is usually those that lost >100 lb that need this .

Martin Jugenburg, MD

A Mommy Makeover Tummy Tuck Creates Less Scar Than A Massive Weight Loss Tummy Tuck

+1

In the context of a mommy makeover, you likely only need a more conventional tummy tuck where the scar is horizontal. Only in the massive weight loss patient, where the amount of excess skin is considerable, would a modified tummy tuck be used that results in both a horizontal and vertical abdominal scars. (also known as the anchor scar) This amount of scarring is not aceptable or needed for most mommy-type abdominal problems.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck incisions

+1

Commonly the tummy tuck incision is palced at the pubid level in a transverse fashion. If patients have massive weight loss, I may combine a vertical incision to take away some horizontal laxity.

Vertical Tummy Tuck vs. "Regular" Tummy Tuck--the best scar winner is . . .

+1

The "regular" or horizontal bikini-line incision has the best scar in virtually all cases. The reason I place "regular" in quotes is that tummy tucks come in different varieties tailored to the patient's individual anatomic needs--a bigger or more stretched tummy in a larger woman may require an "extended abdominoplasty," or a slight bulge just above the pubic area in an otherwise-thin petite woman may require a "mini tummy tuck, and all variations in between.

Massive weight loss patients have loose skin that may in fact require full circumferential belt lift (lower body lift, torsoplasty, belt lipectomy, etc.) because the excess skin and laxity extends completely around their bodies. In some cases, the laxity cannot be optimally treated without adding a vertical component (the so-called "fleur-de-lis" pattern) that adds a vertical scar to the horizontal one. It is extremely rare that a patient would have skin laxity where a vertical incision would be substituted for a horizontal one, but one example of this would be a patient who has already had a tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, or belt lift and still has laxity that would be improved by a vertical excision.

However, regardless of the patient's anatomy, most plastic surgeons and general surgeons who routinely utilize or choose between vertical and/or horizontal scars will agree that vertical scars tend to widen, stretch, and generally heal less beautifully than horizontal ones. Of course, there are better or more precise closures with fine sutures, and there are sloppy, rough-on-the-tissues, irregular closures with big, too-tightly-tied sutures or staples, which can leave a worse scar and cross-hatch marks. And there are patients who heal with thin, fine-line scars and those who heal with thick wide ones. But all things being otherwise equal, horizontal abdominal scars are better that vertical ones in the same individual.

Still, incision choice should be based on the anatomy of the patient, not patient (or doctor) preference.

The costs for these operations are different in different areas of the country, and even different among surgeons in one given area. In our Minneapolis on-site accredited office surgical facility, this combination of procedures (standard tummy tuck, full breast lift without implants, and lower blepharoplasty) would cost about $18K. A full circumferential body lift (without breast or eyelid surgery) would run about the same amount. Any of these procedures in a hospital or outpatient surgical center can be expected to be several thousand dollars more.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck variations

+1

I will only comment on the vertical tt.

I have never used this technique, as the scar tends to be wide after it heals, it is also imho, inferior quality all around vs. the transverse incision.  The transverse incision can be placed so that it is hidden beneath swim suits and underware.

I do a lot of massive weigt loss reconstruction, large, medium, and small, frame people, and have never needed to use this vertical scar.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

A vertical tummy tuck is usually for patients who have undergone massive weight loss and are unable to get a tight closure with a routine incision.

Shahin Javaheri, MD