Mommy Makeover Recovery, Scarring and Aftercare?

I am 7 months post gained a drastic 70 pounds with my pregnancy. Although I was able to lose the weight, I am left with a pregnancy pooch, flabby skin, no more boobs and tons of stretch marks. My main concerns are the pain level, recovery time, scarring, and aftercare procedures. Also, is there a recommended weight range one must sustain in order to proceed? Currently, I am 23, 5'5 and 155 pounds.

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover tummy tuck breast augmentation

+1

Hi,

No need to trash yourself about your body contours.  They are improved with several hours of a combination procedure that gives you the mommy makeoverr and the new confidence.  Your weight is fine and do not worry about the loss of volume of the breasts or shape.  That is easily approached.

Find the best plastic surgeon who does A LOT of body contouring.  This is a must in order to get these procedures right.  The beauty is in the details so you want a very detailed ps to get it all right the first time.  I noticed you did not mention liposucton but I am a big believer in liposuction enhancing any body and breast contouring.  There is a "WOW" factor that would be nice and look for someone who can see it in you.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Candidates for Mommy Makeovers

+1

Mommy makeovers can include breast augmentation and breast lift and tummy tuck as well as liposuction.  At 5'5", 155 lbs, you are likely a good candidate.  Most patients should take at least a week off of work with 4 to 6 weeks before strenuous activity.  The best thing to do to get an idea of scarring is to visit websites and look at before and after photos.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Concerns with Mommy Makeover

+1

All your concerns are legitimate and should be addressed by your surgeon at the consultation. There are techniques to improve pain and scarring, but there is no way to have a tummy tuck without experiencing some down time, discomfort and incisions. In our practice, we use the On Q pain pump and many patients stay overnight for 1 or 2 days. This goes a long way to manage pain and make the experience more comfortable. I also recommend closure of the incision with Prineo-Dermabond and Quill sutures. I rely on this technique and patients have been highly satisfied with the results of scars.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

Congratulations on your wieght loss.  Its seems that you are at a very good weight for Mommy Makeover surgery, with tummy tuck and breast augmentation/breast lift.  For most patients, the recovery time is about 2 weeks.  Pain is well controlled with pain medicine, and for most patients is only significant for the first few days. Your plastic surgeon will advise you as to the timing of resuming different activities.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

At 5 5, 155lb your BMI is 25. You are alomost at your ideal body weight.

The closer you are to your ideal body weight the better the results and the less the risk.

With Tummy Tuck there is some discomfort that can be controled with pain pump and pain medication. The breast is the same, matbe less pain if the implant is above the muscle.

Recovery is about 2-3 weeks. As for post operative care you need to follow the surgeons protocol

Mommy Makeover Recovery Concerns?

+1

Congratulations on your successful weight loss after pregnancy. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for Tommy took surgery. You are wise to reach a long-term stable weight ( no specific weight range)  that you are comfortable with prior to proceeding with surgery.

Your plastic surgeon will have aftercare instructions for you.  I will list some of the advice I give my patients who are about to undergo mommy makeover surgery;  hopefully this is helpful to you.

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Common sense dictated Mommy Makeover recovery instructions

+1

Your surgeon will give you very specific detail on what to expect and what to do/not do post op - ask lots of questions before your surgery and take notes.

Regarding your weight loss - I tell patients to find a weight they are comfortable with and can maintian for the 'long haul' before and after surgery - nobody can achieve their 'ideal' body weight, so this is unrealistic goal.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS