I Had a Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks Ago. I Am Curious As to when I Can Get Back to Doing Pull Ups and Other Vigorous Activities?

On friday I will be 6 weeks post MM. I had lipo, regular BA and TT with muscle repair. I am curious on the general timelines in regards to being able to get back to my normal workout routine which includes pull ups/crunches and inverted sit ups. Otherwise "vigorous" activities. I didn't get an exact day from PS & I would never want to injure my body. I see some getting green light at 6 weeks, but I tried to do one pull up and it was way too painful. Just curious on the general timeline?

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+2

I generally clear my mommy makeover patients to start resuming activity as tolerated 5-6 weeks after surgery.  I encourage my patients to *gradually* resume exercise routines at week 6 postop.  The key word here is gradually.  But please talk to your PS to get his/her specific recommendations.  

Mommy Makeover and Vigorous Activity

+2

Congrats on your Mommy Makeover!  For my patients, I typically let them return to most activity by 2-3 weeks. For "vigorous activity" including core work, pull ups and sit ups, I prefer to have my patients wait 8 weeks to 3 months. This is mainly to be sure the midline tightening (rectus fascia plication) has healed and scarred in appropriately and the breast pocket is stable so the impant will not displace.  Every surgeon is different though, so I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon. Also, it is not uncommon to be weak and/or have pain upon returning to activity.  Take it slow and Good Luck. 

Michael Burgdorf, MD

I Had a Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks Ago. I Am Curious As to when I Can Get Back to Doing Pull Ups and Other Vigorous Activities? li

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.

When to resume full activities after mommy makeover

+1

I usually let my patients to resume their full activity after 6 weeks.  However, you should proceed with activities as tolerated by your body.  Because you have been relatively inactive for the past 6 weeks, returning to full activity will give you some discomfort.  You should ease in and build up to your previous level of activity.  Also, talk with your plastic surgeon in regards to the timeline; each plastic surgeon has different timeline/recommendation on postoperative care and limitations.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Recovery Timeline after Mommy Makeover

+1

I think at 6 weeks you have the green light to resume normal physical activity.   The green light does not necessarily mean you will be able to do it without pain and soreness. 

Remember your body has been deconditioned from surgery, and like pregnancy, will take time to recover once the "green light" is given.

Be patient and listen to your body.   As you feel more comfortable, advance your activity level at your pace.

I wish you all the best!!

Paul S. Gill, MD