Mommy Makeover Scar - How Low Can It Go?

Hello, I am 29 5'3 129 lbs. Very athletic. I have had 3 boys (big babies) 2 of which were C-section. I am interested in a Full Tummy Tuck (mini would not work on my belly), and a breast augmentation with saline implants. However I had a few concerns. 1.) Can I get this done (well) for 11,000 or less? 2.) How low can the placement of the scar for the TT be place. I love low cut panties and bathing suits. Thanks for all you comments. :)

Low placement of tummy tuck scar with mommy makeover

+5

I agree that the lower the better with tummy tuck scars. There are several factors that determine how low it can go, however, so it isn't simply a matter of preference. Ordinarily, all of the skin between the pubic area and the belly button is removed, in a football-shaped pattern. The belly button stays where it is, and the skin of the upper abdomen is undermined so that it can be stretched all the way down to cover where skin was removed. If the upper abdominal skin can't stretch enough, the scar has to be higher. There are a couple of other options to consider. One is, with a slightly high belly button as it appears you have, a mini with an "umbilical float" can be done. that involves moving the belly button down about an inch so there can be a little bit of improvment in the upper abdominal skin, with thorough removal of skin at the bottom and scar as low as you want. Another is a standard, but without removal of skin all the way up to the belly button. This leaves a hole in the flap that is sewn together in a fine vertical line in the lower part of the abdomen but the main scar is still as low as possible. I have a patient who had this procedure who is a competitive body builder and you don't see the scar in photos and on stage. Whatever your choice, you should be able to get a very nice result.

How low can a tummy tuck scar be located

+4

The scar for a tummy tuck can be placed quite low, to accommodate certain styles of low-rise pants and undergarments.  Generally speaking, it can be as low as about 7-8 cm above the vaginal area.  I usually have patients wear underwear or swimwear the day of surgery. I then mark the outline of the garment then place the incision within the boundary of the garment- this helps ensure the scar will be well concealed.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Lowest scar with tummy tuck or mommy makeover

+4

The location of the incision depends on what operation is being done.

For a full tummy tuck, the upper incision is someplace above the belly button.  Therefore the final incision will be an average of what you can take out, or the C-section and the umbilicus.

There are modified full tummy tucks as well, which are lower, shorter, do't do as much, and leave a vertical incision, which many women prefer.

The concept that you get to choose where your final incision is, regardless of what type of procedure is performed, and clumsy doctors make high incisions, is unfortunately not true.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast surgery and abdominoplasty - mommy makeover

+4

It sounds and looks like you are a good candidate for the procedures you requested. You need to pick the safest surgeons who you feel most comfortable with rather than looking for someone who meets your price. Plastic surgery should not be priced like priceline because of safety and final result concerns. If you do not have the necessary funds to do it all at once their is no harm in staging the procedure, financing the full surgery or waiting till you have saved up for surgery.

Although the frontal midline part of the scar can be made quite low and I prefer it that way the outer ends of the scar cannot be low. The best thing to do is bring the type of garment you prefer to wear to your surgeon and have him/her design the skin excision so the closure line falls within the boundaries of the garment. Using traction marking clamps during surgery your surgeon can have increased control of the final scar line position. You can see an example of this in the reference URL.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mommy makeover considerations

+3

You actually have a very favorable body morphology for a low placed scar and the resulting scar should be placed just 3-4 centimeters above the clitoral hood.  This way the entire scar can be concealed in the smallest panties you want to wear.  as far as price point it bepends on what needs to be done on your breasts but I would STRONGLY recomend subfascial placement of silicone gel implants for a beautiful and lasting augmentation.  Doing everything at the same time most surgeons will discount additional procedures so that it could be near your pricepoint.  I would avoid doing saline dual plane or under the muscle even though this will save you quite a bit of money.  After pregnancy your breast tissues are less resilient and more likely to show implant aging and subfascial support can help prevent this. 

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Scar wars

+3

Colely-Oly: Your height, weight and photos suggest that you would be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  As you correctly observe, the position of the tummy tuck scar has followed fashion "low riders".  I generally ask patients to bring their preferred lingerie or bikini bottoms on the day of surgery so they can demonstrate their "no go zone".  Occasionally, string bikinis aren't going to cover the scars adequately, however the vast majority of Mommy Makeover candidates are very well served. 

Be explicit with your PS about your objectives but also be somewhat flexible about clothing choices.  Here in Southern Cal, all of my colleagues have abandoned the Bay watch babe french cut bikini tummy tuck pattern of scars.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Questions regarding tummy tuck and breast enlargement

+3

Your photos indicate that you could definitely benefit from a tummy tuck. The main incision for this is usually and ideally placed below your C-section scar which allows it to be fairly well hidden in most clothes. There will always be a scar at the site of your belly button.

You indicated that you wanted a breast augmentation to be performed concurrently. However, if you have some drooping, you may also require some form of a lift in addition to the enlargement. Though saline implants are around $1000 less a pair, it may that silicone implants will provide you with the result that you would want particularly if your skin is fairly thin.

You should obtain quotes for the procedures from board certified plastic surgeons in your area and then determine what makes sense to do. It may or may not fit within your stated affordable range. Financing, if you qualify, may help you meet any shortfall in funds. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Mommy makeover costs and scar considerations

+3

You appear to be an excellent candidate for this combination of procedures. I tend to keep tummy tuck scars very low on the pelvis because I think this design creates some thigh tightening. These scars are generally a little lower than the position of a typical C section scar. 

I think saline implants are a good choice for a lot of women. This combination of procedures is safe and reasonable to do under the care of a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Our clinic is just north of your location in Puyallup, and we would be happy to see you in consultation. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+3

You are ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty. As for the position of the scar and how low, will depend on the laxity of skin in the upper abdomen. Your Belly button is a little high, and that also dictates how low the scar will be. Consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON, and discuss all these issues with the plastic surgeon. Take your swimm suite with you and see if the scar can be put as low as you want.

As for the price, Choose the plastic surgeon first, then discuss the price. You want first, QUALITY, SAFETY AND GOOD CARE.

Placement of a tummy tuck scar should always be low

+3

Aesthetically I believe there is no excuse for a high tummy tuck scar.  It is true that in some women, and you may be one, that it means not all the skin between your pubic area and belly button can be removed.  When the skin around your belly button is then freed up, you will have a vertical scar on your lower abdomen where that skin (which used to be around your belly button) is now closed.  A hole is created in the skin which has been pulled down from above to accomodate your belly button, just like in a standard tummy tuck.  Having a small vertical scar in your lower abdomen is much preferable to having the main tummy tuck scar be high, in an unnatural and visible position.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon