Mommy Makeover or Just a Tummy Tuck?

I have lost a lot of weight (over 80 lbs) and had 3 children in 4 years time. My stomach is in dire need of a tummy tuck and my breasts are completely deflated from losing weight and nursing. My question is, do you think it makes more sense to have both surgeries completed at once or should I do them separately on different occasions according to priority? At least I can wear a bra but my stomach is on it's own! ;) Thank you!

Mommy Makeover or just Tummy Tuck?

+2

Really, it is up to you.  If you are healthy and your surgeon has told you that you can do both procedures at the same time, you need to decide if you want to proceed or to break things up.

Most patients have limited time for recovery so they choose to do the surgeries at the same time.  Usually, the cost is a bit less when having multiple procedures performed vs. going to the operating room twice.

Good Luck!

Mommy Makeover or Just a Tummy Tuck?

+2

I tell my patients that if you are healthy and can manage it, it always seems better to do both at the same time. Most people today cannot have that much down time and the cost is usually better too having them done together...And if your going to spend some time recovering and on pain pills, why not do it only once!!! Plastic Surgeons do it all the time...In fact, it's rare nowadays that I do just a Tummy alone!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Depends on you

+2

The answer will be contingent on your healing time and the complexity of each procedure as you will want to ensure a safe period under general anesthesia. For healthy patients, a mommy makeover can be an attractive option. Consult 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons in your area to determine the safest and best option for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover or Just a Tummy Tuck

+2

Providing you have a good medical history ( and labs check out good prior to surgery) , tummy tucks and breast surgery can be done at the same time. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Mommy makeover

+2

When considering dual procedures, first and foremost, I take into account a patient's health.  I also consider the operative length, as some complications increase with longer procedures.   Typically though, breast surgery and an abdominoplasty can be done at the same setting.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Mommy makeover can be done in one operation.

+2

Hi.

This is assuming that you are young and healthy.  For someone with increased surgical risks, it is best to do them separately.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mommy Makeover vs. Tummy Tuck only

+2

There is really no right answer here.  It all depends on your goals and budget.  It is very common and safe for plastic surgeons to treat both the breast and tummy in one procedure.  although it is likely more cost effective for a combo procedure, there is nothing wrong to come back and fight another day.  Best of luck

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+2

I agree with my colleagues here as doing both procedures together is a good idea. One additional benefit that was not mentioned is that you may be a candidate for a TABA (Trans Abdominal Breast Augmentation) procedure. In this procedure implants are placed through your tummy tuck inception so that you won't have any breast incisions.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and breast lift

+2

Dear Mom3lovebugs,

The answer to your question is not that simple. It realy depends on the complexity and the length of surgery. If your combined surgery will take 6 hours, by all means , do them at the same time. However, I had patients that the tummy tuck alone took 6 hours. In that case I will split it into two surgeries in order to avoid increase chance of complication. Also, surgeon fatigue, might have an impact on the quality of the final outcome. You need to discuss   this matter with your surgeon and figure out the amount of time that he estimates it will take him to do the surgery.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Money Makeover

+2

Generally, it is overall less costly in terms of time, money and postoperative discomfort to have them both at once.

J. Brian Boyd, MD