How Does a Mommy Makeover Surgery Affect my Fibromialgia?

I have fibromialgia but am doing great since being put on Effexor XR (some drs use this for fibro with great success) a few months ago. I find that working out daily helps keep my pain to a minimum as well. Could the surgery and recovery affect my body and cause me to have severe flair ups of pain, I am very nervous about this because it hurts so bad like having the flu aches but worse. Just wondering if any of your patients have had fibro and went through a Mommy makeover.

Mommy Makeover and Fibromyalgia

+2

I agree with the other respondents that fibromyalgia patients do tend to have a more complicated recovery when it comes to fatigue and pain control issues. I think that the fibromyalgia should be as “well-controlled” as possible prior to surgery and that the patient should be prepared for a relatively long recovery, from the physical and emotional standpoints.

I also agree that the procedure should be “cleared” through the physician who normally manages  the fibromyalgia.

Some additional advice you may find helpful....

1. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

5. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

6. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

7. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Mommy makeover and fibromyalgia

+1

I have had several patients  who have had extensive surgery (including a "mommy makeover") and fibromyalgia. While you may have some additional issues with pain management, I do not see this as an absolute contraindication to surgery.  I cannot recall any significant problems in my patients who have had fibromyalgia.   I would recommend that you discuss your plans with your primary care provide so that he/she can make appropriate adjustments in your medication and complete an adequate preoperative evaluation.  Best wishes.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Slower recovery to be expected...

+1
I have operated on many patients with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and other inflammatory conditions. I find very little difference in wound healing, but the patients routinely take much longer to recover and they definitely have increased pain and fatigue. Management of the postoperative pain is best accomplished in conjunction with your primary care physician and a medical clearance is necessary.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon