Mommy Makeover Surgery

What is mommy makeover surgery like?  How long are you actually in surgery?  Does it have to be done in stages?

An Overview of the Mommy Makeover Procedure

+3

The mommy makeover is one of the most popular operations performed by plastic surgeons. The procedure is a combination of cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction, and abdominoplasty. It has been designed to reverse the changes that occur normally with pregnancy.
During pregnancy and breast-feeding, the breasts typically increase in size. After pregnancy and breast-feeding, a variety of scenarios may occur. In some cases, the breast may not return to their normal size. In this situation, a breast reduction may be necessary. In other cases, the breasts will shrink to their previous sizes, causing excess, saggy skin that may require a breast lift. Some patients will lose volume and require a breast augmentation, while others will have sag and volume loss and require a breast augmentation and breast lift.
The abdominal wall is also affected. It becomes stretched and there is usually redundant, saggy skin, stretch marks, and weakened muscles. This will require abdominoplasty, mini abdominoplasty, or abdominal wall liposuction. Women also frequently note an increase in fat accumulation in the hips and thighs – these patients will usually require liposuction.
There are multiple advantages in performing these procedures in combination. These include an overall improved result, lower cost, and single recovery. The procedure typically takes about four hours. Patients frequently report increased self-esteem, self-image, and an overall improvement in the quality of their lives. For these reasons, the mommy makeover is one of the most popular operations that is currently performed in plastic surgery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

+2

The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures that improves the breast and abdomen. It can include breast augmentation with or without a lift and a tummy tuck with or without liposuction. The surgical time can range from 3-hours if the abdominal and breast procedures are performed at the same setting and time. You can alternatively have these procedures performed at different times which will reduce the surgical time to around 2 hours. Your recovery will also be much easier and shorter. I generally will provide my patients who are returning for additional procedures a fee reduction

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeovers consist of breast and body procedures

+2

Mommy Makeover surgery varies for each patient since it can consist of breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, tummy tuck, and/or other procedures depending on the patient’s aesthetic goals. Therefore, the times have various ranges too. These procedures can be performed in stages, but patients typically have them performed simultaneously to decrease downtime.

David Whiteman, MD

Mommy makeover surgery

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  The mommy makeover - what I think of as a tummy tuck with breast augmentation +/- breast lift - is a very popular procedure that can produce excellent results!  It typically takes 5-6 hours of operative time.  These procedures may be safely combined at one setting, given you are healthy and without significant medical comorbdities.  I would consult with a plastic surgeon who would examine you and discuss the various options and assist you to decide if you wish to undergo all of the procedures at once or at smaller staged procedures.  An examination of the amount of work to do with each will also make the decision.  There would obviously be a cost saving and recovery benefit for a one-stage procedure.  However, your safety should not be sacrificed for these reasons.

If it was deemed wisest to stage these procedures, you will have to decide which procedure(s) are most important to you.  You should devise a priority list and discuss this with your surgeon and several of these procedures will still likely to be combined at the same procedure.  Thank you for your question!  Hope that his helps and best wishes for a superb result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Combining procedures

+1
"Mommy makeover" refers to a combination of breast surgery with tummy tuck, sometimes also with liposuction. The length of surgery and staging depends on which procedures you're having, your body size, and surgeon preference. I commonly combine these procedures in my practice. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for details that relate to you. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Mother makeovers are surgical procedures to restore your body to pre chilbirth appearance. The more common surgeries are tummy tucks with liposuction, breast lifts and facelifts. The moms who go through this are the happiest patients in our practice. They like the way they look and love the way they feel. Many patients have their surgeries in stages depending on their budget and work schedule. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+1
Breast Lift and Augmentation (Augmentation Mastopexy):

The 'top half' of many 'mommy makeovers'

Augmentation mastopexy is designed to correct the two most common changes that occur in breast appearance following pregnancy: loss of breast volume, and stretching out of breast skin. While there are some moms who can get an acceptable cosmetic result from augmentation alone or from mastopexy alone, many moms have a combination of breast volume loss and skin excess that requires simultaneous augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift). I frequently perform this surgery in concert with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and this combined breast and tummy rejuvenation surgery is sometimes referred to as a 'mommy makeover'.

Augmentation mastopexy is also commonly performed for major weight loss patients, including those who have had bariatric surgery including gastric banding and gastric bypass. Obesity followed by major weight loss usually produces breast changes that are very similar to those seen after successive pregnancies, and often the effect on breast skin is quite severe. Additionally, as a North Carolina breast implants surgeon, I regularly see patients with significant breast ptosis (the medical term for 'droopiness', pronounced TOE-sis) in young adulthood, without any history of pregnancy or major weight loss. Some breasts are just naturally droopy, and I have performed mastopexy and augmentation mastopexy for patients as young as 21 years.

This surgery is a potentially challenging one which requires thoughtful preoperative evaluation and planning, and careful attention to detail in the operating room. Many surgeons have traditionally performed breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery in stages, usually mastopexy first followed by augmentation at a later date. In the recent past more and more surgeons have adopted a non-staged, single surgery approach to augmentation and mastopexy, and that is what I propose for the vast majority of patients who I see in consultation that need both procedures. I believe that the results of simultaneous augmentation mastopexy are as good or better than a staged approach in most cases, and of course patients quite naturally prefer a single trip to the operating room if at all possible.

Some patients I see in consultation are primarily interested in a breast lift procedure. For those with a significant amount of existing breast tissue, a breast lift alone may produce an aesthetically ideal breast appearance. However, it can difficult to achieve significant fullness in the upper poles of the breasts (the upper aspect of the breasts, above the nipple-areola area) in many patients by means of a breast lift alone. I ask patients who are considering a breast lift procedure how important it is for them to have the appearance of some fullness in the upper part of the breasts, and to thereby achieve a significantly more youthful breast profile. For patients who confirm that this appearance is important to them, and who do not have enough natural upper pole breast tissue to achieve this appearance with a mastopexy alone, I recommend an augmentation mastopexy.

Other patients are primarily interested in increasing their breast volume, but have enough breast ptosis to make the appearance of breast augmentation alone odd and unappealing. Placing implants behind breasts with significant ptosis creates the appearance of breasts hanging off of a pair of implants, which looks distinctly unnatural and aesthetically unappealing. These patients are also best served by augmentation mastopexy, which in addition to increasing breast volume restores the position of the nipple-areola complex to the top of the breast mound, tightens the lower pole and lifts the breast.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Restores Breast Size, Shape and Tummy After Pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. Mommy Makeover can vary from a simple Breast Augmentation and Mini Tummy Tuck which can take as little as 2 hours to a Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation and Full Tummy Tuck which can take over 4 hours.

The time that you are in the OR will also depend on the skill and experience of your surgeon. In my practice two Board Certified Plastic Surgeons perform Mommy Makeover together, assiting each other which reduces the time required for a Mommy Makeover in half.

Typically Mommy Makeover is done in one surgery. However in some cases if a Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation is required they will be done in 2 stages.

For patients who are significantly overweight, weight loss and Liposuction may be done before the Tummy Tuck

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover procedure

+1

The mommy makeover differs for each patient.  Some patients have the breast implants and tummy tuck procedures, others need a breast lift in addition to the breast implants, others add in liposuction to their mommy makeover procedure.  Whether things are performed in 1 stage or 2 stages depends on your specific situation and should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Please make sure your surgeon is experienced in the mommy makeover procedures.

Best Wishes!

Length of mommy makeover surgery

+1

It varies.  I prefer to do the tummy tuck and the breast aug/lift in one stage.  Depending on the patient and what they need, the time in the operating room is usually around 5-6 hours.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD