M?ommy Makeover Recovery Needed Before 1/2 Marathon?

I would like to participate in a 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles) on Oct. 28. If I schedule my Mommy Makeover on Sept 4, is that enough time to recover (about 7 weeks)?

Mommy makeover before a marathon

+3

You are going to invest a lot of money in having this surgery.  You should protect your investment and not do anything to disrupt your surgery, set back your recovery, or require you to have a revision...the answer would be absolutely not...this is way too soon to stress the areas that are having surgery and you won't be able to train prior to the marathon anyway.  Use common sense.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Mommy Makeover

+2

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after a mommy makeover. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations. But, I'm really concerned that that you will not be ready for your Marathon by 10/28. Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Marathon soon after mommy makeover might be tough

+2

Congrats on your decision to have a mommy makeover!  I typically allow my patients to resume most activity around 2 weeks, but every patient is different and every mommy makeover is too.  I would be concerned about such strenuous activity so close to surgery. You'll need time to build up to your current activity level after surgery, as well as more time to train for such a long race. However, it really depends on the individual components of your surgery. I would suggest discussing your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Recovery and Exercise After a Mommy Makeover

+2

The 8 weeks will be enough for you to recover from your surgery. Having said that, during that time you will not be able to carry on the training regimen necessary for a half marathon. Your wounds will not have reached full strength and thus any training during this period will stress your incisions. While I encourage my patients to exercise in the post operative period, it typically will begin in the 6 to 8 week range. They are encouraged to start with low intensity exercise and build the intensity according to their abilities and how much they have progressed in their healing. Your previous level of fitness will be important in how quickly you can start exercising post operatively, but so is the healing, which can not be controlled nor predicted. It would therefore be advisable to reschedule the timing for your half marathon.

I would also advise that you speak with your plastic surgeon, as they would be the best person to address your concerns. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery- Exercise after Tummy Tuck in Los Angeles

+2

It takes about 6 weeks to mostly recovery after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. This can vary depending on a person's physical status and level of fitness. A person who has been training for a long time on a routine basis would be able to do a marathon in 3-4 weeks. I had a fit patient that started jogging one week after her mommy makeover, and she did great.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Running Half Marathon After Mommy Makeover

+2

As a marathon runner myself, I don't feel that you would have enough time to recover and continue training for that race after the Mommy Makeover.  In general, the recovery time after a Mommy Makeover is 1-2 weeks, but it would probably be at least a month before you could resume real training, and it could take at least several more weeks after that to start to get into race shape.  If your Mommy Makeover is Sept. 4, I would suggest looking for a half marathon in December or January at the earliest.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Running a Marathon after Mommy Makeover

+2

I worry that you may not be up to running a marathon 7 weeks after mommy makeover surgery.  You don't want to have the surgery and then compromise the results by doing too much activity too soon.

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon and see what he/she recommends. My recommendation is to listen to your body after surgery.

Best Wishes.

Don't plan big events after surgery

+2

Thank you for your question. I am very hesitant to recommend that you try to run a half marathon 7 weeks after a mommy makeover. Although it is possible, you will not be able to do much in the way of training for at least a month, giving you only 3 weeks to prepare. And that is assuming that you have no problems with your recovery. Much of this depends on what you are having done, how extensive it is and what kind of shape you are in going into the surgery. I would recommend having surgery after your run if it is that important to you. Good luck and I applaud you efforts!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery Needed Before 1/2 Marathon

+2

If that run is important to you, think about rescheduling. 

Most patients are able to do as much walking as they wish the day after surgery, and then begin other light exercise by a week or two, and perhaps be back toward their normal fitness routine by six weeks. In my mind, that would give you one week to get into condition for your half marathon. 

It takes six weeks for the strength of the incisions to reach 90% of the strength they will achieve (and this is less than unscarred skin), so you would be putting quite a stress on the surgical incisions that soon.

Thanks for the great question. Best wishes.

Marathon after Mommy Makeover

+2

I am a little nervous about your running a half marathon 8 weeks after a Mommy Makeover.  In my experience, I have seen plenty of patients returning to exercise as soon as 6 weeks after surgery, but a half marathon is quite strenuous.  The complete answer is - it depends.  Full recovery to a strenuous workout regimen will depend on what specific procedures are included in your makeover, your current fitness level and the speed of your recovery.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about your plans, he or she is the best person to guide you.

Andrew Jimerson, MD