Recovery Period Before Housekeeping Work After Mommy Makeover Surgeries?

I am having a tummy tuck, breast implants and liposuction in 2 months. I have owned a housecleaning business for 13 years now. How long after my Mommy Makeover should I return to housekeeping work (mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing)? What is a safe amount of time to take off before returning to this type of work? Thanks!

Recovery From Mommy Makeover Minum 3 Weeks for Housework

+4

Thank you for your question. You will need a minimum of 3 weeks after a Mommy Makeover before you can resume housekeeping and childcare for small active children.

It will take 6 weeks to begin to feel that you are back to normal

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+4

Thank you for your question. You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

+4

There are three areas of limitations after surgery:

1.  You need to protect the surgical areas from undue stress and strain - the incision lines and muscle repairs need to be kept from too much pulling.

2.  You need to allow your body adequate time to heal - your body needs extra energy and nutrients to heal, unnecessary activity will compete with the surgical sites.

3.  You will be tired and fatigue easily - because you are healing, you will "run out of gas" quickly.

Between your surgeon and your body, you cannot do everything you did before surgery.  Usually, light activity is encouraged as soon as possible, but strenuous activity will need to wait 6 weeks.  Your doctor will give you precise instructions prior to your surgery.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Don't rush recovery after Mommy Makeover

+3

Typically, the mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck to correct the changes that happen as a result of pregnancy. One of these is that the abdominal muscles get pushed apart, and so the operation includes repairing that.

This is analagous to a hernia repair, which typically requires 6 weeks to get to full strength. However, most routine activities are OK within about 3 weeks, so if you can do light duty you should be fine. But if you try to do too much too soon, then you can have a setback, so don't rush it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Return to Work and Recovery after Mommy Make Over Procedures

+3

People vary widely in their level of post-surgical discomfort and ability to return back to normal activity. It has been my experience that those with desk jobs can return to work 10-14 days after a Mommy Make Over procedure while those with more physically demanding jobs may require 3 to 4 weeks.

Dr. P. Aldea

Recovery after mommy makeover

+2

Back to work after the MM varies on the type of work.  Your work requires an extreme amount of physical strain.  Give yourself a good two to three weeks and, when you do go back, try a shorter day for another couple of weeks.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Recovery period for mommy makeover

+2

Mommy makeover usually refers to combination procedures of breast and body.  Although you should be able to walk on the same day or the next day, you do not want to be lifting or staining for 6 weeks.  Vaccuming and mopping will involve using your core (abdominal) muscle as well as your upper body.  Please give yourself time to heal for at least 6 weeks prior to returning to your work.

Sugene Kim, MD

Recovery from a mommy makeover

+2

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. Your surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam. In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

How long should you wait before returning to work after mommy makeover

+2

A mommy makeover (which involves a breast surgery and a tummy tuck) typically requires about 1-2 weeks off of work (for a desk job).  If your job/work requires heavy lifting or strenuous activity, you may actually need up to four weeks because the abdominal muscles need more time to recover.  Some patients may need a little more or a little less time off work as each patient responds differently to each surgical procedure.  As a general rule however I would plan on taking a minimum of at least ten days off work.

Discuss this in detail with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to your surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Heavy work will be longer.....

+2

The answer here depends upon exactly what you have done. Mommy makeover surgery is composed of different procedures in different mommies. For that which you have listed the Tummy Tuck will be the most disabling. I would keep you off heavier activities for a month or so.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon