Are Mommy Makeover Recoveries Easier if I Am in Fit Shape?

I run 15-20 miles/wk, boot camp and KravMaga 3 times/wk. Also, I'll be training for a 1/2Marathon. A wk after the marathon I may schedule my surgeries, including a chin augmentation. I'm weigh 130 lbs and 5'1" (age 40) and aiming to lose 8-10 lbs in the next 10 wks because of training. My BMI will be lowered for sure. Will the weight/BMI loss, firming stomach muscles and hopefully losing chin/neck fat make my recovery easier? I have a slight weak chin. Will I have enough neck fat to lipo?

Recovery Easier If Fit

+2

Thank you for the question. It goes without saying that the better shape you are in the easier your recovery and the better you will tolerate your procedure. Whether or not you have enough fat in your neck for liposuction is impossible to tell without an in-person examination. Consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best option to obtain an accurate opinion to your concerns. Good luck.

Better shape, better results?

+2

Without seeing you everything is hypothetical. If you are in good shape and a favorable BMI you should do better and have a nicer overall result than if you were. More overweight. If your "issues are just loose skin, then tightening procedures, where excess is removed might be what is needed for the breast abdomen, and even the chin. Improving the angel of the neck and chin may not require augmentation.

overall the better shape one is in translates into better results and post operative course.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Being at ideal body weight is preferred, but not mandatory for tummy tuck surgery

+2

You are already is excellent shape.  Keep in mind we often perform mommy makeovers on women who are not at their ideal body weight and they tend to do fine.  So don't feel that you have to be at your top form to have the surgery.  But it is wonderful that you have such great exercise habits already.  You may find you are even more motivated after surgery because of your improved body shape (but I think you are sufficiently motivated already!).  A chin implant works nicely to correct a slight weak chin and we usually perform liposuction under the chin at the same time.  Having a well-defined jawline tends to be very attractive.  I have attached a link to this part of my website for your reference. 

Are you having a tummy tuck? Being in great shape is a plus of course.  Whether it makes your recovery any easier I am frankly not sure.  The fact that you are at ideal body weight is always a good thing.  More depends on your pain tolerance and also the type of surgery you have. 

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover surgery

+2

Generally speaking, the better shape you are in before surgery, the easier your recovery will be. Hard to say if you have enough fat to be a candidate for liposuction, I would have to see photos. Once you have lost your last 8-10 pounds, I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

MOM Recovery

+1

The short answer to your question is - yes.   It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

In my practice, I do see that patients who are in better shape prior to surgery generally have an easier time during the recovery process.  I cannot comment on you having enough fat under the chin for liposuction (unless I examined you or saw photos).

Visit with well experienced, board certified Plastic Surgeons to get the best advice.

Best Wishes.