Post-Op Mommy Makeover, Which Food/Beverages to Have Avaiable for 1st Week?

What foods/beverages would be most beneficial for postop healing? Are protein shakes OK? Should I increase my lean protein intake? Thanks!

What to eat after a mommy makeover

+2

Light foods such as broths, jello, and shakes are perfect for you after a mommy makeover.  Protein shakes are especially good for optimal incision healing.

Diet after Mommy Makeover

+2

The most important thing to do after any surgery is to make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, preferably water. It is best to also try to stay away from salty food items in which those can make you swell more. Protein shakes are very good and I would encourage drinking those. You may want to stay away from multi-vitamins because some of them do contain fish oils and vitamin Es which can cause bleeding. It is also very important to take your stool softeners because the medications can cause constipation. I would start off slow and eat/drink to what is tolerable.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Diet after mommy makeover

+1

Thanks for your question -

You should not plan drastic diet changes. 

A healthy balanced diet is as important after surgery as it was before.  Things like high doses of Vitamin E or high protein diets can actually cause post-op problems (bleeding for Vitamin E and constipation for high protein diets).

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Mommy makeover

+1

It is important to follow your surgeons postoperative care instructions. Protein shakes are good supplement to a healthy diet in this time of recovery. Make sure to stay well hydrated and try to have some food on board before taking medications. High-fiber foods are also important to help prevent constipation. Best wishes.

Diet after tummy tuck

+1

After a tummy tuck I would recommend a high protein, low carb diet. Vitamins with extra minerals like zinc and magnesium are good for wound healing. Avoid food that will make you feel bloated and gassy. Also avoid salt as it will make you blow up! Use a mild stool sftener like Colace or Pericolace. Stay well hydrated and move around as much as your doctor will permit. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Mommy makeover diet

+1

I would recommend a preoperative healthy diet that you continue postoperatively.  You won't be able to suddenly change your immune system and healing capacity the week after surgery if you were not healthy and fit going into surgery.  Fruits, vegetables, lean protein, protein shakes are all good - but remember to do everything in moderation.  Suddenly drastically changing your diet the week after surgery can cause digestive problems, bloating, etc, and remember that pain medications can cause constipation.  Decreasing salt intake can help with swelling after surgery. 

Michelle Spring, MD