Mommy Makeover Plus Lots of Lipo - What's the Best/Safest Way to Split It Up?

I'm 39, and have 3 kids all by c-section. I put on 70lbs each time (currently 5'6"/ 147lbs) and have droopy belly and saggy boobs (& huge nipples!). I'd like to get this taken care of with a tt & breast aug, but also would like lipo to the knees, thighs (inner & outer), flanks, waist, bra back, upper arms and armpits too! If that's not enough, a bit of chin/neck lipo to remove a small double chin would be great. I recognize this is a lot. How do I do this safely? Is there a good sequence?

Mommy makeover

+2

I would recommend dividing everything that you are wanting into 2 settings.  I will frequently do breast augmentation and lift along with an abdominoplasty but the amount of liposuction you are wanting would be more than I would recommend in one surgery.  I would recommend doing the abdominoplasty and liposuction as one surgery and the breasts as another.  If you wait about 9 months in between any touch up liposuction if needed could then be done at the same time as the breast surgery.

Gary Hall,MD

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Staging Mommy Makeover

+2

Brooklynmama you are smart to split or stage your transformation.  Assuming that you have finished your family, your health is robust and your weight stable, you are wise to stage the procedures.  I would encourage you to prioritize the areas you dislike most and schedule these first.  Given your description of "droopy abdomen and saggy boobs", breast lift +/- implants or tummy tuck would be stage 1.  I usually include liposuction of the flanks and waist in an abdominoplasty but keep the operative time around 5 hours.  Lipo of the chin, armpits, "bra boob" and arms can be combined with breast procedures.  Liposuction of circumferential (outer & inner) thighs and knees can really get your attention, so although the scars are small, be prepared for some discomfort.  Hope this helps.  good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Mommy Makeover- Two Stages or One?

+1

From your description you wish to have a Breast Lift and Augmentation, Full Tummy Tuck and liposuction of your upper neck, arms, trunk (front and back) thighs and knees. Although we often do this surgery at one setting, we also suggest that dividing it into two surgeries is safer especially the potential for clots in the legs (DVT)  that can travel to you lungs (PE). We go over the increased risks with the patient and make sure they have a complete informed consent prior to doing it in one stage and take special measures to prevent venous clots.In that case I would also use a second surgical assistant (surgeon, PA, or RNFA) to decrease total OR time. Except on rare occasions my total OR time is 6 hours or less for these procedures that you are considering.

This is how I would stage your surgeries:

1. Everthing that can be done while supine. This would include all Breast, Tummy, and liposuction surgery except that on your back. The reason for this is that simply turning you to a different postion on the OR table takes time to do this, reposition the anesthesia and IV tubes, and prep your skin, sterile drape you, and have the surgeon scrub his hands again, new gowns and often new sterile instruments. With an assistant this would take me about 4 hours        
  2. Second stage: Back Liposuction   By doing the smaller procedure second will result in a quick recovery time 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1

I always think that removing the localized fat through liposuction should be done first and then proceed to the other surgical procedures. I think that the liposuction first will lead to likely better results on the tummy tuck if there is significant amount of fat to be removed on your hips and abdomen.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mommy makeover in two sessions

+1

thank you for your question. I recommend two sessions for your surgeries, the breast lift and implants can be done at one setting with the facial lipo and the tummy tuck with the body lipo at another session. Separate the surgeries by 4-6 months.

Be advised that after liposuction, the loose skin may not snap back and look worse.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon who has examined you and can comment on the ability of your skin to snap back based on its quality and thickness.

Good Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

How much surgery can be done during a mommy makeover

+1

I would first recommend getting  closer to your ideal body weight before having surgery. If you are already at your goal weight I would recommend having a tummy tuck with a few areas of liposuction. The surgery should be limited to about 4 hours. There are certain limits as to how much fat should be removed at one procedure. Then, a few months later, you could undergo the breast augmentation with lift and any remaining areas of concern for liposuction. You may want to have medical clearance first by your primary care physician. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and outline a safe and reasonable plan for your mommy makeover surgery.  Best wishes, Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Best Mommy Makeover

+1

During the initial consultation, discuss with your surgeon the areas of concern.  I find that following several pregnancies most women are primarily concerned about their breasts and abdominal area.  Procedures that will improve these areas are breast augmentation, breast lift or a combination of the two procedures.  For the abdominal area we might be considering a combination of liposuction and a mini or full abdominoplasty,  depending upon the amount of skin laxity present.  With the photos submitted regarding the abdominal area,  it looks like you would be a good candidate for a full abdominoplasty to achieve a better overall contour.  It is very common to perform breast and abdominal contouring procedures together, as it is safe in most women (depending on your health history), and makes the most dramatic impact.  Other areas can be contoured at the same time, but occasionally we will defer this to a second operative procedure depending on the extent of the operative procedure.

Diane L. Gibby, MD

How much to do during a mommy makeover

+1

A mommy makeover can include any procedure that you feel is important to your goals, however most often it refers to tummy tuck with some liposuction, and a breast lift with or without breast implants. For most this will allow a reaonable operative time, and a reasonable recovery. Though liposuction elsewhere be on your list you can push up risks and make home recovery a challenge (remember the kids). We would consider the extra lipo for another time.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Mommy makeover

+1

Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board Of Plastic Surgery), for full evaluation and recommendation.The picture is not of good quality.

You may be able to combine the breast surgery and the tummy tuck. Then next surgery is the liposuction

Mommy Makeover and “Lots of Liposuction"

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your description,  is hard to know if you are a good candidate for breast  augmentation alone or if some type of breast lifting will also be necessary to achieve your goals. If the  flanks (“muffin top”) is a potential  issue,  then consideration should also be given to the extended tummy tuck procedure.

One way to break up the operations into safer portions is to proceed with the breast and tummy tuck surgery ( assuming you're working with a well experienced board-certified  plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist)  to be followed at a later date by the liposuction of the several areas you mention.