Mommy Makeover Possible with Multiple Clotting Disorders?

I am contemplating getting breast augmentation and abdominoplasty (mommy makeover) done. I was diagnosed in my late teens with Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and am homozygous for Factor V Leiden. I have never had a blood clot and was only tested because my mother also has Factor V Leiden. Are these procedures I can have done with proper precautions and care, or should I not even think about it?

Mommy makeover

+1

I am assuming that you had a full work up by a hematologist to reach the diagnosis of antiphospholipids syndrome and Factor V leiden mutation. This puts you at a very high risk for deep venou thrombosis nad pulmonary emboli. You are at high risk with any surgery under general anesthesia. You are a very high risk even with the all the precautions taken during and after surgery. Therefore you are not a candidate for elective cosmetic surgery.

Mommy Makeover with Clotting Disorders

+1

The concern here is your increased risk for a blot clot (Deep Venous Thrombosis or a Pulmonary Embolus).   I would recommend a formal evaluation by a hematologist.  You will definitely require some form of DVT/blood clot chemoprophylaxis (medicine to help prevent a blot clot) and early ambulation.   I would also develop a treatment plan to minimize the operative time to facilitate to your recovery.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options and risks.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover with Clotting Disorders?

+1

I would suggest that you consult with a well experienced hematologist  and ask about your specific risks with elective surgery,  given your specific clotting disorder.  It is possible, as you say, that with proper precautions and care,  that you may be able to undergo the procedure. Again, much will depend upon what the hematologists say.