I Am Getting a Mommy Makeover with Lipo on Arms and Chin. 8 Hour Surgery - Is It Too Long?

the doctor said it should take about 7 hours and 45 minutes.he said it is done all the time. my surgery is scheduled for jan 14th.i am 35 years old 155 pounds and workout regulary. i don't smoke or drink and eat healthy.recently lost 40 pounds in the last year.is this to long? and how do i know if my doctor is accredited is what he needs to be? my doctor is dr todd adam in webster tx he has a very good bedside manner.

8 Hour Plastic Surgery

+2

8 hours is too long for an outpatient surgery. If you are determined to have all of these procedures done, you could either split them up into two separate trips to the operating room, or have them done with a 1 to 2 day inpatient stay. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Length of surgery for Mommy Makeover

+2

The duration of surgery - and anaesthesia - for a mommy makeover depends, among other factors, on the number of procedures performed and the time it takes your surgeon to complete the operation. In general, very long surgeries increase the risk of complications. Check your plastic surgeon's credentials by verifying he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Length of cosmetic plastic surgery operations and the risk of complications: how long is too long?

+2

This is a tough quwarion to answer. It is generally assumed that the longer an operation is, the hihger the risk of the procedure. However, I am nto aware of any study which has quanitifed the risk on a per hour basis. For example, what is the difference between a 6 and eight hour oepration. WE do know that operations lasting more than 1-2 hours hav a higher risk of blood clot formationl but we don't know if 8 hours is more risky than 6 hours. In our community, some of the outpatient surgery centers prefer to limit surgery to less than 6 hours and prefer that loinger operations are perfomred in a hospital or overnight facility but that is more based on preference rather than scientific data.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/other-procedures-chicago/labiaplasty-and-mommy-makeover/

8 Hour Mommy Makeover

+1

Thank you for sharing your story with us!  Multiple procedures can be accomplished in one operative setting.  The limiting factor is time under anesthesia.  The key determinant is your overall health status.  For your three procedures there are many variables to consider such as the amount of liposuction which adds to the overall length of time involved.  All lipo is not created equal and a careful assessment of how much fat will be extracted from each site is paramount in determining the amount of time required.  The benefit of one recovery, decreased anesthesia and operating room costs must be weighed against potentials for adverse outcomes such as infection, pulmonary embolus, and even death.

As stated before, you need to prioritize your surgeries and have a careful discussion with your plastic surgeon to see what can be done SAFELY.  Should you do all three at once, I would recommend that you at the very least have an overnight stay in the hospital for postoperative monitoring.  The other option is to see a surgeon who works in concert with another surgeon to expedite the operation, this should cut down on the time considerably.  If you go this route, you should meet both surgeons.  I utilize this "team" surgery for some of my breast reconstruction free flap cases as well as for large body contouring procedures.  Even with the time saving, I would recommend the overnight stay.  Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Surgical time for mommy makeover

+1

Although 8 hour surgery is long, it can be done safely.  You want to make sure that you are healthy and your medical condition is optimized.  I am sure your plastic surgeon will perform necessary blood work preoperatively. You also want to make sure that you are undergoing your procedure at an accredited surgery center/hospital.  I would recommend staying overnight after the surgery.  It is important to ambulate on the same day of the surgery, if not the next day to prevent DVT.   Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Is 8 hours too long for a Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

The short answer is probably yes, it is too long.  This is particularly true if it is being done as an outpatient surgery.

Sometimes these groups of mommy makeover procedures can be done in one session as an inpatient but even then, it is safer to split up some of the procedures, and have two shorter OR sessions.  Your surgeon is less likely to be tired as well

There are good combinations of the procedures that lend themselves to efficient and safe surgeries when planned appropriately..

Surgery Too long?

+1

As you know, safety should be your first priority.  Personally, I think that 8 hours potentially compromises safety.  There really is no need to risk your well being.  Separate the procedures into 2 sessions.

Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Surgery lasting 7 hours should be done in a qualified setting

+1

Make sure your facility is qualified (hospital setting with board certified anesthesiologists) before a 7 hour procedure.  However, 7 hour procedures are done on a daily basis at many hospitals.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Eight hour surgery

+1

Whatever is being done during those eight hours may be too long for an outpatient procedure.   You did not give us alot of information to work with.

Length of surgery & mommy makeover

+1

Combining a tummy tuck and an 8 hour surgery is a little worrisome, due to the risk of blood clots and anesthesia-related complications.  My personal preference is not to exceed 6 hours in OR time.