Mommy Makeover: How Will I Look 3 Weeks Later?

My 20th wedding anniversary is June 1st and we are going on a trip. What will I look like at that point (surgery May 9th), will my scars and swelling still be scary. This will be our first trip together in 12 years without the kids.

Mommy Makeover

+2

3 weeks may be too soon in the healing process for you to plan and enjoy a trip. You will have some restrictions and physical limitations. I recommend my patients to refrain from strenuous activity, swimming, and exercise for atleast 6-8 weeks to prevent complications. It is normal for you to have some swelling and bruising 3 weeks post-surgery. I ask my patients to wear the abdominal binder and remain in a flexed position for 4 weeks to help minimize swelling and aid in the healing process. Incision lines will likely still be pink/red/purple at that point. It is very important that you follow the post-op care instructions of your surgeon to ensure the best results possible.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.  

Mommy Makeover

+1

You will be moving a little slower, but we have some patients drive here in a week, and are ready to go travel and their drains are still in so everyone is different and just stay healthy, be positive, follow the Dr. orders, and your healing should go well.  Four weeks is enough time to feel well barring something unusual.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

I would not recommend a Mommy Makeover 3 weeks before any special vacation as you describe. Although by 3 weeks you will be feeling quite well, you will not be 100%. You will look good but you will have swelling and your scars will still be red. Your overall stamina will still be recovering.

Leo Keegan, MD

Scars after a mommy makeover

+1

After 3 weeks, you may still be swollen and bruised.  However, it will most likely to be too bad so that you can go out and do most of your daily activities.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover, how will it look in three weeks?

+1

At just three weeks after your mommy makeover, you will still be healing.  You will still have some swelling, possibly some bruising, and the scar will just be starting to form.  However, you may actually look quite good at this stage.  I would be more concerned about avoiding heavy activities which could cause further swelling and/or bruising.  At this stage you will still note that you tire easily.  With regard to the trip use your judgment.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Take your time in recovering from surgery

+1
Three weeks is not enough in my opinion. As much as we plastic surgeons might like the idea of patients flying in for surgery in our clinics (makes us feel like we so good that people fly from all around the world just for US) and flying out soon thereafter, or having "short recovery" procedures, the reality is that surgery requires healing. You must allow yourself adequate time to heal and ideally, be available to be seen by your surgeon in the event you have any complications after surgery. I find that upcoming milestones/events are a BAD reason and time to do cosmetic surgery unless the event is at least 4-6 months away, to allow for healing, swelling resolution, strengthening, scar improvement, management of complications, and overall resolution of the surgical changes. It does not mean it is UNSAFE for you to travel or that your result will become compromised, but I have had patients completely ignore my instructions under the assumption they were doing so well and actually cause problems affecting their own final outcome.
Check directly with your surgeon regarding recommendations for travel. S/he is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, I hope.
Good luck and congratulations.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after a mommy makeover

+1

If all goes well, then you should be ok for you trip after this surgery.  There are too many variables to account for so be careful in your decision.  I would recommend that you either wait till after the trip or postpone the trip by another few weeks to be sure.  You have waited 12 years for this trip, another few weeks is not going to make a difference. Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Take it easy...3 weeks is not enough

+1

3 weeks is definitely pushing it. You will likely still be sore, swollen and maybe even bruised. In addition  sun exposure on your new healing wound is not great, and your activity will also be limited as well. If you can I would allow at least 6 weeks before going on a trip. I know this may sound depressing but  not only do I want you to get the best results with your surgery but also have he best time on your vacation. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Ritu Chopra, MD

What to expect 3 weeks after mommy makeover

+1

You will certainly be able to go on you trip,however, you may not be ready to perform strenuous activities or sports at just three weeks.  If you are having a breast augmentation and tummy tuck as parts of your mommy makeover, then you should really hold off about 4-6 weeks before beginning any kind of strenuous activity.

Your incisions should be healed well enough that you can go into water, if that is an option on your trip.  Consult with your plastic surgeon beforehand to make sure your wound is sufficiently healed.

If you are getting breast implants, they may still appear "high", as it takes about 6 weeks for them to "drop" or settle on your chest wall. This may affect the type of clothing you will be able to comfortably wear at just three weeks.

Ask your surgeon any other specific questions before leaving for your vacation.

Enjoy your trip.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery and Travel

+1

Two exciting events in your life, your 20Th anniversary and one of the most dramatic popular surgeries performed today. However it  may not be wise to do them so close together. You don't mention how far from home you are going or what type of activities you have planned. At three weeks you will be getting around pretty well but not back to normal by any means. I would recommend either postponing your surgery or your trip. Your incisions will still be very red and tender, and you should not be doing anything strenuous for at least six weeks after your surgery. You will find that your energy level has not returned to normal yet and it is not wise to push yourself. Good luck and congratulations!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD