Mommy Makeover or Individual Surgery?

I am a 35 year old mother of 4. We are done having children and am 5'7" and 180 pounds. I do not plan on having the surgery until I get to a more ideal weight. I cannot decide if a Mommy Makeover is the best solution for me. I am wanting my breasts to be higher on my chest and a flatter stomach. I would appreciate any input as to whether the Mommy Makeover is the best avenue for me to pursue when locating a surgeon.

Mommy makeover timing and options

+3

If you are contemplating multiple procedures such as your breast and abdomen, I would consider doing them at the same time as you then experience one anesthetic, one recovery.  The combination does not significantly impact on your recovery.  These are procedures commonly performed together, often with the addition of liposuction of the flanks or love handles,  If you are anticipating losing weight,  I would like you to initiate that program of eating healthy and exercise and then at the time of the procedure, you take a time out for your surgery and then resume your established routine afterwards.  Additional weight loss only complements your result.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

A Mommy Makeover Can Be Life Changing

+1

In carefully selected patients, Mommy Makeover surgery will achieve dramatic correction of sagging breasts and stretched out abdomens.    Following four pregnancies it is likely that your breast skin and abdominal skin has been stretched out and lost its pre-pregnancy elasticity.   The dual breast and abdominal surgery will safely allow the correction of your breast shape simultaneous with the repair of your abdominal core muscles and removal of excess abdominal skin.   To achieve the best result, you should be close to your ideal weight.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon that performs these surgeries in a certified operating facility.   Make sure that you have a plan for the first week of your recovery as you will need help getting in and out of bed for several days.   You won't feel like dancing for the first two days, but a well-executed Mommy Makeover can be life changing.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover

+1

Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your options.  If you have no abdominal issues, then just focus on the breast.  You can choose between gel and saline.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

The first step would be to reach your ideal weight and be stable at that weight before having surgery because if you have surgery and your weight changes, it will change the results of your surgery.  Whether you perform the breast and tummy procedure together or separately is your choice.  Most of my patients decide to do the surgeries at the same time because they only have to go to the operating room once, one recovery, less financially.  Some of my patients don't have the recovery time for the tummy tuck so they do the breast procedure first and then come back for the tummy tuck when they have more time to recovery. It's really patient specific.  Take a look at before and after photos and research your surgeon to make sure they can help you achieve your goals.  You are doing the right thing by losing the weight first.. Good luck!

Mommy makeover or individual procedures

+1

The decision to do multiple procedures in one stage or in several stages should be made in consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  In my practice, I typically do more than one procedure in each operation, but not always.  It depends on the patient's health, the size of the procedures, and the experience of the surgeon.   I have published several plastic surgery journal articles on this topic that you may view on my website.

David Stoker, MD

Mommy needs TLC

+1

try yoga to lose the weight and really streengthen your core. who knows you may even get into the spiritual stuff. as far as surgery goes, after you get to your ideal weight the proper procedures should be obvious and done well by almost any ABMS plastic surgeon (board certified by palstic surgery). just remember you don't have to do it all together and really tax your recovery reserves and your families patience. I prefer a staged approach, can you tell? It makes more sense to me, the two operations generally are "fighting" each other. one goes up the other goes down, right? do the more important one first and then recover completely and do the second one if still needed 6 months to a year later, I find most end up needing only one of the two to be happy. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+1

If you are relatively young and in good health and not extremely overweight there is no reason you can't combine procedures.

David E. Kim, MD

Mommy makeover: combining breast surgery and tummy tuck

+1

Once you are at your ideal weight a mommy makeover sounds like a good procedure for you. Provided you are in good health these procedures (breast lift +/- implants) and a tummy tuck can be done on the same day as long as they are completed in a reasonable amount of time (less than 5 hours).  You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician prior to surgery and can consider staying in an after care facility the night of surgery for observation.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for this type of surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Combined procedures for "mommy makeover"

+1

There are plusses and minuses for combining procedures.  There is the benefit of shared recovery time, but there is the added risk of a longer anesthetic.  Generally a "mommy makeover" combines abdominoplaty with bresat lift with or without implants.  This is a safe combination of proceduresif done expiditiously.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover candidates

+1

A mommy makeover usually includes a breast lift with/without implants and a tummy tuck.  You may want to get several opinions as to whether or not you're a candidate for everything.  Then, you can decide if you want to do both together or apart.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS