Can I Still Have Mommy Makeover with a Cold?

I am scheduled for a mommy makeover (TT and BA) on April 15th, but I am catching a cold....my body hurts, throat is sore and I feel it in my chest. Currently I am just taking 2,000mg vitamin C per my surgeons Pre-op instructions. How can I get better fast and will my surgery have to be post-poned?

A Cold and a Mommy Makeover.

+2

I will tell you what I would tell my own patient.  First notify you surgeon. Second visit your family doctor and work out the best treatment.  This could be antibiotics, decongestants, antihistamines, cool mist vaporizer, home, rest, etc.  Take care of yourself.  Colds come and go.  The important thing is what you have on the 14th and of course he 15th of April,i.e. the day of ypur surgery.  If you have a cold then, the surgery should be cancelled.  If you just have a mild sniffle you may be ok but why take a chance.  If you run a fever at the time of  surgery , that is an absolute cancellation.  Hope this helps.  My best.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a Mommy Makeover if I have a cold?

+1

Thanks for your question.  I'm sorry that you feel sick.  Remember that this is elective surgery.  Don't undergo elective surgery if you are sick as this may compromise your final result.  Speak with your surgeon and decide with that person what will be best for your specific set of circumstances.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

A cold is a cold, and if your airway is irritated, this could delay your healing so wait until you are healed.  The 2000mg of Vit. C will likely not help very much if at all, unless you are deficient, then you will benefit.  Otherwise, all you need is 250mg/day, and much of this is wasted.  The USA has the most expensive urine in the world due to our excessive vitamin consumption.  Water soluble vitamins go out with the urine.  Get plenty of rest, fluids, and have surgery when you are ready.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Cold?

+1

Thank you for the question. I think it will be instructive to other patients as well.

It is in your best interest not to undergo elective surgery unless you are in the best shape possible. Especially when the virus or bacteria involves the chest are elective surgery should be postponed. 

Even at your best,  the mommy makeover operation  takes a major physical and emotional  toll;  he should not increase  the risks of potential problems by proceeding with surgery if/ until you are fully healthy. 

Getting sick before surgery

+1

I would let your plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologists determine whether or not you're okay for surgery.  You wouldn't want to compromise your results for something that is elective.  Feel better!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Allow yourself a full recovery

+1

It would not be wise for you to have surgery while you have a cold. Your chances of getting anesthesia related complications is higher. Most doctors and anesthesiologists would not want you to go under anesthesia while you are still sick or just recovering from an illness.

There is no short cut to a cold. You just wave to wait until it takes its course and you are completely well.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Illness and surgery

+1

I am sure you are very excited to have your surgery, and postponing would be a big disappointment. You need to notify your surgeon and let him know of all your symptoms. If you have any kind of an infection going your surgeon and anesthesiologist will want you to reschedule. It happens sometimes but it is very important for you to have a successful recovery. I am sure your doctor's office will get you back on the schedule as soon as you are well. Best of luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Postpone all elective surgery if you are ill

+1

I would not recommend having any elective surgery if you are having a cold or are ill.  Especially with a tummy tuck, where coughing after surgery will be very uncomfortable and could affect your outcome.

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon and find a time when you're perfectly healthy.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Planned mommy makeover with a cold-- put it off!

+1

You should notify your surgeon asap.  Most anesthesiologists would not be willing to put you to sleep if you have a real cold at the time of surgery.  This is an elective, cosmetic procedure.  There is really no reason to expose yourself to any avoidable risk.  

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Cold symptoms and Elective Surgery

+1

I would not recommend any elective surgery if you have active cold symptoms.  No need to take any extra risks.   Please see you primary care physician for an evaluation and workup.  Feel better.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS