Considering Mommy Makeover but Want to Have One More Child in the Future

im a 25 year old mom of two toddlers. i am interested in having a 'mommy makeover' but i do want to have another child in about 5-6 years. i understand i may need to have revision surgery after pregnancy and i'm okay with that. i just dont know if i should or not? i really want to enjoy my body while i'm still young as i live an active lifestyle and want to enjoy while i can. i've had one c-section and one natural birth.

+2

It is not dangerous to have another child after "mommy makeover" surgery, but you should understand that if you do some revision may be required to tune up the results. If your next child is not planned for another 5 or 6 years then you can make an informed choice as to whether this approach is worth it to you.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

A mommy makeover now is fine.  You may or may not need a revision in the future.  The surgery, if done correctly, seems to have good persistence and holds up well.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Children post mommy makeover

+1

Ultimately, this is a personal decision. I recommend my patients to wait until they have completed having children to prevent additional surgery. Some patient opt to have the operation, nevertheless understanding that the additional surgery may be necessary. Your photos indicate you are a good candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose and excess skin to provide a tightened abdomen area. Liposuction is usually included in the procedure to help improve body contours.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Mommy Makeover Candidate

+1

A Mommy Makeover consists of several operations on different areas of the body. Since you have not made it clear in your questions and your available photographs show a two view picture of your abdomen I assume you are interested in abdominal procedures such as Liposuction or Tummy Tuck.

The photos offer a limited angle that indicate you do not have excessive hanging tummy skin nor do you have a bulging tummy. This is indication that your procedure of choice may be liposuction of the abdomen, flanks and hip rolls which should not have any effect on your future pregnancies.

• At age 25 and what I can see in your photos, you certainly don't seem to need a tummy tuck.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Mommy makeover timing

+1

A mommy makeover is an excellent solution for the woman who has had children, is active, and just wants her body back!  That said, there are costs, risks, and recovery associated with the procedure.  While a mommy makeover can technically be performed at any time, the changes that a woman's body goes through with pregnancy will usually reverse some of the contouring created by a mommy makeover.  Your breasts are likely to sag again to some extent and your abdominal skin will stretch again.  Furthermore, most tummy tucks involve a muscle plication or reinforcement.  Those rectus muscles will separate if you become pregnant again.  I'm not saying that the procedure can't be done, and if the appearance of your body now bothers you so much that you can't wait, then maybe it's the right decision for you.  That said, I usually encourage my patients to wait.  Best of luck! 

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Mommy makeover now or later?

+1

Of course a future pregnancy will impact your results from a mommy makeover, and as long you understand this, you can feel free to go ahead - it's your body, and you can certainly make your own decisions.  On the other hand, personally, I would want you to wait until you are done bearing children before having a tummy tuck.  Revision surgery will not necessarily be easy, and result may not necessarily be as good as the first time around.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Should I get pregnant after a mommy makeover?

+1

As long as you understand that you may require further surgery after a pregnancy to maintain your surgical results it is reasonable to get pregnant again. 

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

When to get a Mommy Makeover

+1

Yes you are definitely a candidate for a mommy makeover. Generally if my patient wants to have more kids in the near future 1-2 years I have them wait and then proceed with surgery at a later date. However in your case you plan on waiting and it appears that you realize you may need a revision. As long as you know all the pros and cons and have discussed your ideas with a board certified plastic surgeon you will get a great outcome. Hope this helps.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Future pregnancy and mommy makeover

+1

If you have a tummy tuck as part of a mommy makeover you can still become pregnant later,however, this may result in some loose skin again.  Since you aren't planning on having more children for 5-6 years, it's reasonable to have a tummy tuck now, as long as you understand that you may need a revision (removal of more skin) after all your children are born.

Based on your photos it appears that you have some stretch marks but your abdomen looks relatively flat. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for this type of surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mommy Make Overs & Future Children

+1

You have obviously done a lot of research and have a respectable and sophisticated outlook on this issue.  As long as your loved ones support your decision, I would agree with you in getting a mommy make over.

I agree with all of your points and you are likely a good candidate.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon