I Really Need a Mommy Makeover After Having Twins 7 Years Ago. Don't Know Where to Go or Who to Trust?

Had twins in 2005. I am 5'6" and for years hovered around 220-240lbs. In recent years slowly dropped down to 204 and in the recent past Down to 180. still have 30lbs to lose, would love to have "work" done when I reach goal wt. I don't know who to choose. Everyone recommends the same firm but they want $20,000.00 to do a tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift. I want quality but not at name brand prices...any advice? (have 4 kids & not having anymore) Can provide pictures if necessary.

Who should you trust for your mommy makeover?

+5

Excellent job on losing the twin's weight!  Finding the right doctor for a truly life altering surgery is not easy. Obviously the doctor needs to be a board certified plastic surgeon.  You need to examine his or her's work.  Talk to several patients from the practice.  After all that, you NEED to feel comfortable with the doctor and staff.  People tend to discount their feelings when it comes to picking a surgeon,DON'T.  This type of surgery is a process. The surgeon and you will get to know each well.  Choose carefully and you will be proud to show off your new lighter and tighter body.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Choosing your mommy makeover surgeon

+1

Please make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Review each doc's before/after photos.  Finally, ask yourself with whom did you feel more comfortable?  Whose office staff made you feel more comfortable?   In the end, go with your gut feeling.  Don't just go with price.  Unlike other products you can purchase, you can't return your plastic surgery result.  Trust and comfort with your team and a safe experience and a great result is priceless!  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Staging a mommy makeover body contouring and breast contouring surgery

+1

A mommy makeover surgery usually involves a body contouring procedure for the abdomen and a breast procedure.  One option is to stage the two surgeries by doing the one you prioritize first and then stage the second.  Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Surgery Advice

+1

In addition to the advice given by the other surgeons, I would recommend asking your Ob/Gyn and/or Family Practice Physician for a recommendation.  Generally they see a lot of results from local Plastic surgeons and can therefore make a recommendation.  You can also do a lot of research online, where you can see before and after photos for the surgeries you desire.  You should also be able to obtain some sort of quote for these desired procedures by doing a remote consult (through photos) out of state if necessary.  You definitely want to take your time, do diligent research and ask a lot of questions prior to proceeding with surgery.  Good luck!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Mommy makeover

+1

I agree with the previous advice...would add that you are going to have to live with your decision...do not let price alone drive your decision...there is a saying: "price, service, quality...pick two" ...recommendations from friends is helpful, but there are many well qualified plastic surgeons available and you should consult several...remember that fixing problems after a surgery gone wrong may cost more than the original procedure.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover cost

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss!  A board certified plastic surgeon is the best person to trust for this kind of surgery. I would ask if they have hospital privileges to perform this surgery.  If not, then I would seek out a different plastic surgeon.  If they only do it in their surgery center, they may not be offering you the full spectrum of options.  For example, I usually keep my patients in overnight for pain control and control of any nausea they might have.  They are always happy for this. It only adds $500 to the total bill. 

Although I would not go to the lowest bidder, there may be another practice that is just as qualified that would be less. Good luck!

Dr. Loewenstein

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Where to Go or Who to Trust

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss. Good plan to continue to lose down to your desired weight before surgery. 

If you look on the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) website (google the name), you will find listings for all the member surgeons in your city, and I count four different addresses. If you are willing to travel to nearby cities you will find others.

Look for practices that are geared to performing combination "mommy makeover" procedures.

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Yes, photos would be helpful.  You are correct in insisting on quality.  It's no bargain if you need redo surgery.  There is no substitute for experience.  $20,000 for abdominoplasty + breast implants/lift is not out of range.  However, some plastic surgeons who have access to their own surgery centers can be competitive in cost without sacrificing safety or quality (both of which are more important than cost).  At our center we recognize the need to keep costs under control.  Your price would be about $15,000. 

But start with looking at websites and patient photographs.  I promote the "rule of 10."  If you are satisfied with ten results you see by your surgeon, that is a good indicator that you will be pleased.  My website is attached.  Mommy makeovers are extremely common these days, and many plastic surgery practices are geared to performing these combination procedures.

There is a wide variety in breast lift procedures.  The most effective is the vertical lift.  Be sure to check into what type your surgeon performs.

Patient satisfaction tends to be very high.  I'm sure you would benefit, having had four children.  It is a rare woman who does not need a makeover after four kids.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon for Mommy Makeover

+1

You can start by consulting with a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Other factors would be the experience of this surgeon and who you are most comfortable with.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Surgeon

+1

Choosing your mommy makeover surgeon is an important decision.  I would highly recommend that you visit with a few well experienced, board certified plastic surgeons and ask to see many examples of their work.  Sometimes, talking to patients who have had the surgery performed is also helpful.

Anyone considering plastic or reconstructive surgery should consider consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to achieve the best and safest results possible. Physicians who are considered board certified hold a certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This certification proves that the surgeon has graduated from an accredited medical school, has completed a residency of at least five years, has three years of experience in general surgery, is actively practicing plastic surgery for at least two years, and has passed mandatory comprehensive and written examinations. These surgeons are referred to as diplomats of the ABPS and have fulfilled the following requirements.  
It is in the patient’s best interest to choose a board certified plastic surgeon. It is vital to your safety and the success of your cosmetic surgery that the surgeon you choose has the right qualifications, ample experience, and documented results of his or her work. ABPS diplomats have extensive skill and experience in a wide range of plastic surgery procedures.
There are a number of advantages in choosing a qualified and highly experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon to perform your cosmetic surgery. If there are any complications during surgery, an experienced plastic surgeon will be more adept at handling the situation. In addition, a plastic surgeon that has performed many cosmetic surgeries will have had more time to perfect his or her technique and results.

Reputable plastic surgeons should have privileges to perform cosmetic surgery procedures in the operating room at an accredited hospital, not just in the surgery center in their office. They work with a highly skilled team including, board certified anesthesiologists, nurses, and technicians to enhance patient comfort and to provide a peace of mind to the patient’s and their families.
During your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, ask to see before and after photos of actual patients who have undergone cosmetic surgery. The surgeon may provide you with a list of patients you may speak to as a reference for the doctor. To enhance your education regarding the surgeon, you may be introduced to some post-op patients as well during your visit with the surgeon. Most patients are willing to share their experience regarding their surgeon, the staff, hospital, and recovery.