Mommy Makeover After Previous Anesthesia Complications?

I had a tubal in 2004 at 28 years old. I experienced stroke symptoms with right sided paralyzes, memory issues. It took months of physical therapy to walk again. I have mostly recovered and am now 34. It was never determined whether the effects were from the anesthesia or paralyzing drug used (one anesthesiologist suggested the latter). I have since had a tonsillectomy in 2006, and two endoscopy procedures in 2010 with no negative effects. I want a breast lift and tummy tuck, should I consider the Mommy Makeover?

Safety is the number one concern in Mommy Makeover

+2

Our number one concern before any operation is safety.  If the operation is elective, then we need to be operating in absolute 100% safe conditions.  With your past history of a stroke, I would be very hesitant to perform any procedure without a full pre operative work up and then sit down and decide what the best course of action would be.  The answer may be that the risk of a repeat stroke is too great and elective surgery should not be performed.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Possible risks associated with a mommy make over

+2

From your description you may be a good candidate for a mommy make over.  You should first be seen in consultation by a plastic surgeon who can review your risk factors and determine the best treatment plan to address your concerns.

Previous anesthetic complications and mommy makeover

+1

I would likely have you seek a pre-operative evaluation by a neurologist and anesthesiologist prior to scheduling any surgical procedure. ALthough it is reassuring that you have since undergone 3 procedures without any adverse events, a mommy makeover is a more extensive procedure when compared to a tonsillectomy or endoscopy procedure.

Anesthesia and surgery

+1

Without knowing the fine details of your previous surgery it would be hard to tell. A would have my anesthesiologits review your records as well.  If you had good outcomes after that event,  then that is good.

Impact of a MAJOR past Anesthetic Complication on future safe Cosmetic Surgery

+1

The complication of a Left sided stroke / Transient Ischemic attack associated with a Tubal ligation in 2004 in an ? otherwise healthy 28 year old woman is extremely rare. I am ASSUMING that doctors checked you for potential blood clots (heart and neck vessels) as well as possible irregular heart rate, possible opening between the upper heart chamber and possible seizures. The fact that you had anesthesia 2 years later and deep intravenous sedation in 2010 implies that your ? work-up was normal.

Before agreeing to have a Mommy Make Over, I would suggest you obtain all your anesthesia records (2004, 2006 and 2010) and meet with the anesthesiologist your surgeon uses for his/her opinion. Sometimes, they can pick a drug allergy this way or they may be able to see something others did not as unlikely as this may seem. A neurology work up may also be very valuable.

Once these physicians have cleared you, I am sure your plastic surgeon would feel more comfortable operating on you.

IS PREVIOUS ANESTHESIA COMPLICATION A CONTRA-INDICATION FOR MOMMY MAKEOVER SURGERY?

+1

You have asked a great question!

Unfortunately, without reviewing your records, it is hard to say.  Being so young and having had a "stroke" is unusual. I guess the two questions are were you taking birth control pills and did you smoke at the time of your tubal ligation? Both increase the risk of stroke.  Did a CT scan of your brain document stroke? Or was the diagnosis clinical? Or was the diagnosis of a stroke completely ruled-out?

The good news is you have had 3 operations since then with no recurrence of symptoms. I would discuss the above with your surgeon, and definitely have a complete medical and neurological clearance before surgery. The anesthesiologist should perhaps evaluate you before surgery as well.

The current recommendation by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons is to limit elective out-patient surgery anesthesia time to 6 hours or less. So I would consider staging your surgeries, if the anesthesia time is estimated to be longer.

Best of Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Stroke history demands full work-up

+1

I would assume that after your stroke you had a full cardiovascular and neurologic work-up.  It certainly is unusual for a person to have a stroke at such a  young age.  Heart related problems like atrial fibrillation and septal defects would need to be ruled out. While it is a good sign that nothing happened after your tonsillectomy, that is a short operation, and a mommy makeover will take several hours. Most endoscopies are performed under sedation as opposed to general anesthesia.  So I would make sure your internist clears you first.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover after previous anesthesia complications

+1

The decision whether it is safe to have a mommy makeover, given your prior history, would be best addressed by your internist, perhaps also in consultation with an anesthesiologist.  The fact that you subsequently underwent procedures without complications is a good sign.  Your previous complication may have been related to a particular medication, and it could also be a good idea for that anesthesia record to be reviewed prior to a major procedure.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+1

You had a major complication or incident.

You need a full NEUROLOGY work up at a university center get a diagnosis,, seek their recommendation then think of elective cosmetic surgery.

Anesthesia complications and Mommy Makeover: balancing risks

+1

The good news is that you have successfully had 3 surgical procedures with anesthesia since the complication, the problem is not knowing for sure what caused it. be open with your plastic surgeon about what happened and discuss it with the anesthesiologist in advance to make sure everyone including yourself is comfortable with the risks and benefits of having the mommy makeover.

Richard Baxter, MD