Considering Mommy Makeover After a DVT, Am I Still a Candidate?

I am 31 years old, 5'2 and 150 pounds. Three years ago, I went to the hospital with chest pains and found out I was pregnant. A month later, my DVT was discovered.(Don't know why it took so long) I was on Lovenox throughout the pregnancy, delivered a healthy 8 lb. baby (C-section under general anesthesia, no complications), and had minimal scarring. I'm considering a Mommy Makeover, but my family is worried. Am I still a candidate for elective surgery having had a clot in the past?

Mommy makeover - abdominoplasty

+3

I think your family will be more supportive if they realize that you had a C-section while on low molecular weight heparin so having an abdominoplasty with the same medication should be as safe or possibly safer.

I have performed abdominoplasties on patients with histories of DVT using low molecular weight heparin prophylaxis and those patients' intra and postoperative course was no different than the average patient. The main concern would be to make sure you do not have a genetic bleeding disorder.

Your posted photos show that you could benefit from the surgery but family cooperation and support before hand will make your recovery much smoother.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

MOMMY MAKEOVER AFTER DVT PROBLEMS

+3

Yes all will be well and you risk small but there are steps you must take.  First a visit to you internist and a workup to see how you are doing.   Studies should be done to see if you have a tendency toward DVT.   Clotting and general metabolic workup should be done.  A plan needs to be established that may include Lovinox and other drugs.   You surgeon and anesthesiologist need to talk and plan.     You should do this staged and not all at one time.  It is safer to stage into 2 or 3 procedures and not really much more costly.   The abdominoplasty comes first, then the breasts, then the liposuction.   It is important you get up and walk the night of surgery.  During surgery you must be protected with compression anklets that keep blood moving in your legs.  You must go home with similar SCDs that squeeze your legs gently and keep blood moving when in bed and sedentary.   This will be a safe approach.   There are other protective plans that may be appropriate.  Do all these things and you will be fine.  Dr George Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

DVT history and TT

+2

For starters, I'd recommend that you see a hematologist - so they can figure out with careful testing if there was a particular reason why you had your first DVT.  Some of these causes are worse than others - in that they have have a higher risk of causing major problems this time around.

Then, I'd make a decision to operate depending on what the hematologist told us.  If you are considered "high risk", we'd really have to think hard about whether it was a good idea to do this elective procedure....safety first.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Mommy Makeover After DVT

+2

Mommy Makeover surgery - tummy tuck, breast reduction, and liposuction may be performed after a history of a DVT but only after a thorough workup by your internist.  Your surgeon and anesthesiologist must also be in agreement as to type of anesthesia and DVT precautions including the use of low molecular weight heparin prophylaxis.

I have performed tummy tucks on patients with histories of DVT's using the precautions stated above, without any problem.

The components of the "Mommy Makeover"  surgery should be performed separately.  I would recommend the abdominoplasty first, then the breast reduction, and lastly the liposuction.  After each procedure you should ambulate with assistance as soon as possible after surgery and compressive stockings and venodyne boots  should be used throughout all surgical procedures.

Good luck!  I think the tummy tuck will make you very happy!

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+2

one risk factor for dvt (or vte:  venous thromboembolism) is history of a dvt.  In addition, general anesthesia, immobility, and length of surgery are other risk factors.  You would likely benefit from seeing a hematologist (a doctor who specializes in blood disorders) prior to surgery.  You may need to be placed on blood thinners during the post-operative period

Loren Schechter, MD

Mommy makeover

+2

You are a high risk for deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary emboli with any surgery under general anesthesia.

You will need a hypercoaguability work up, see a hematologist for that.

If surgery is to be done you will need a venous duplex as well.

After surgery, you will need to be on lovenox. Being on lovenox increases your risk of bleeding, especially in the surgical site.

Abdominoplasty has a higher risk of deep venous thrombosis.

In my practice you will not be a candidate for surgery.

One may consider aplacing a filter in the vena cava. But deep venous thrombosis has long term effect on the legs, the so called post phlebitic syndrome.

Considering Mommy Makeover After a DVT, Am I Still a Candidate

+1

Pregnancy does increase the chances of a blood clot but some people have a genetic predisposition to it. A full work up by a hematologist should be done to rule out anything that can contribute to it. If there are no other underlying risk factors, then a Mommy Makeover with post-operative DVT prevention with a short course of Lovenox can be done.

Julio Garcia, MD

Blood clots and tummy tuck risks

+1

Yes, you can still have a tummy tuck provided that you inform your doctor of your past medical condition and all the appropriate precautions are taken to prevent it from happening this time around. You just have to be careful and follow all instructions to a T. This doesn't guarantee that nothing bad will happen but it certainly can do a lot to minimize the risk. Good luck.. I hope it goes well.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Blood Clot History and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Cosmetic surgery is optional surgery and the pros must outweigh the cons.  The fact that you have had a DVT in the past increases your risk of recurrence.  In my opinion you are not a good candidate for elective surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Surgery in a patient with a DVT

+1

Patient's with a history of DVT (deep venous thrombosis, blood clot) are potentially at increased risk of developing another blood clot and surgery can place patients at risk.  I believe you could safely undergo the procedure, however a preoperative evaluation by a hematologist to aid in determining whether or not you have a predisposing condition which could be addressed to decrease your risk is appropriate.  Staging multiple surgeries should be considered as well.

Dr. Simon

good luck

Sean A. Simon, MD