Hair Transplant or Topical Treatment?

my mom is 45 years old and has a dreadfully thin crown area. does she need a transplant or should she try to work with a derm for a more topical treatment?

Surgical and Non-surgical Treatment of Female Hairloss

+2

A good physical examination and lab tests including hormone levels would be the first step in evaluating female hair loss. Although I've never seen good results with topical treatment, there is little risk except the economic gamble. A transplant surgeon will make recommendations re hair replacement after determining the extent of loss and the quality of the donor area. 

Surgical versus Non-surgical Treatment

+2

Your mother has typical hair loss seen in women.  If your mom has been working with her dermatologist using topical treatments for 6 -12 months without improvement then surgery would improve her results dramatically.   She must be healthy and willing to undergo surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

She needs to see an endocrinologist first for hair loss in the female.

+2

She needs to find out if there is a medical condition causing her hair loss from an endocrinologist. If this is negative she can try rogaine, but I have never seen good before after photos of good results. Hair transplants may not give her enough hair to justify the cost and she may prefer extensions.

Crown Hair Restoration

+1

Androgenic alopecia, or pattern baldness, is the most common form of hair loss in men and women. For men, there is a well-defined pattern of hair loss that begins above both temples, followed by a receding hairline and crown hair loss. Women typically experience hair thinning over the entire head.

For your mother, I would first have her consult with her doctor about the cause of her crown hair loss to rule out of other possibilities. If it is pattern baldness, she is definitely a candidate for follicular unit extraction (FUE). Hair restoration of the crown is complex since it serves as the scalp’s merging place. Hair grows forward from the top of the head; hair grows toward the nape on the back of the head. Hair growth is in a circular pattern, so it’s also different on the sides. To create a natural-looking whorl during restoration, surgeons must use care vision and artistry.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant or Topical Treatment?

+1

She may be a better candidate to see a dermatologist first since there are many causes of hair loss in women.

Jack Fisher, MD

Surgical vs. Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Treatment

+1

She first needs a medical workup, then consider minoxidil and possibly laser light therapy, then possibly a procedure by a surgeon experienced in transplanting women.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant in women

+1

Before considering hair transplant, your mom first needs a good physical examination to determine why she is losing her hair. We see a lot of women in our practice and this is the protocol we follow. The initial exam would consist of a full medical history, scalp examination, the pull test, etc. Further testing such as hormone levels, thyroid levels and blood levels are required to determine whether Any underlying medical condition is contributing. Then, we would consider hair transplant.

Thanks

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple treatment options for thinning hair

+1

Several FDA approved medications are available for the treatment of patterned hair loss in men and in women. These included OTC products like minoxidil 2-5%, oral medication such as finastseride (Propecia), as well as several new ones under development. Once hair loss acceleration is controlled, evaluation for surgical hair replacement can begin.

Remember to consult a medical hair loss expert and he or another physican may also be able to evaluate the patient for micro-graft surgical hair restoration.

Peter Goldman, MD

This may not be a clearcut case of female pattern baldness

+1

Although I am not a dermatologist, I am a board-certified hair transplant surgeon meaning that I understand basic pathologies when it comes to hair loss that may preclude the success a hair transplant procedure.  Since you and your mother appear by the photo to be African-American, there are certain conditions that may be more prevalent in AAs than in Whites and that may or may not be helped with a transplant procedure.  Typically, traction loss that is due to tight braiding occurs more along the hairline and the periphery which appears less to be the case here.  This is a condition that responds well to hair transplantation.  When it is more toward the central scalp and into the crown, a common condition known as CCCA central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia may be the culprit which is NOT a surgically amenable condition, at least not when the disease is active.  This may or may not be what your mother is experiencing.  My suggestion is to find an excellent dermatologist for evaluation and possible biopsy to rule this out and possibly to help with any treatments of the condition.  Hope that helps.

best,

Dr. Sam Lam
Dallas, Texas

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon